Hockey: Hampstead men bounce back with win
- Credit: Archant
Hampstead & Westminster got back to winning ways in the Premier Division in their last match of 2018.
Having lost their unbeaten record at East Grinstead, they defeated struggling University of Exeter 2-0 at Maida Vale to keep the pressure on leaders Surbiton.
Richard Smith fired them in front from a short corner on 10 minutes and the hosts created a string of chances in a dominant display.
The visiting keeper made several fine saves, though, and Hampstead needed Toby Reynolds-Cotterill to pull off a double save at the other end and Marc Edwards to clear off the line before half time.
More opportunities went begging in the second half, but Hampstead sealed the points on 64 minutes when Sam French finished off from another corner.
You may also want to watch:
Surbiton’s loss to Beeston leaves Hampstead in second place on goal difference going into the winter break. They now focus on their indoor campaign, bidding for a Super 6s finals spot.
- 1 Curious Crouch End: From Mrs Hitler to the 'The Hornsey Revolution'
- 2 Baked to perfection: Dunns rakes in prizes at World Bread Awards
- 3 Swimmers find exotic python lurking outside lido
- 4 Christmas trees and lights set for Hampstead return
- 5 'Decades of cycling infrastructure progress in just a year'
- 6 North London police officer suspended and charged with theft
- 7 'Unacceptable': Fury over Crouch End roadworks diverting W5 bus
- 8 Squares Pizzeria: Authentic Italian meets effortless elegance
- 9 Hundreds gather on Primrose Hill to mourn Nicole Hurley
- 10 Objectors fear housing plans threaten chance of Highgate pub return