Hockey: Hampstead men bounce back with win
- Credit: Archant
Hampstead & Westminster got back to winning ways in the Premier Division in their last match of 2018.
Having lost their unbeaten record at East Grinstead, they defeated struggling University of Exeter 2-0 at Maida Vale to keep the pressure on leaders Surbiton.
Richard Smith fired them in front from a short corner on 10 minutes and the hosts created a string of chances in a dominant display.
The visiting keeper made several fine saves, though, and Hampstead needed Toby Reynolds-Cotterill to pull off a double save at the other end and Marc Edwards to clear off the line before half time.
More opportunities went begging in the second half, but Hampstead sealed the points on 64 minutes when Sam French finished off from another corner.
You may also want to watch:
Surbiton’s loss to Beeston leaves Hampstead in second place on goal difference going into the winter break. They now focus on their indoor campaign, bidding for a Super 6s finals spot.
- 1 Woman dies after house fire in Muswell Hill
- 2 Hampstead Ballet School star wins place at Bolshoi academy in Moscow
- 3 Nazanin may become 'bargaining chip' in Iran nuclear deal, warns husband
- 4 What's next? Covid-19 and the future of Hampstead Village
- 5 Helen McCrory: 'Mighty' Tufnell Park actress dies aged 52
- 6 Slavia Prague v Arsenal: Five Things We Learned
- 7 Hampstead robberies: Inside the police chase which caught 8 violent criminals
- 8 Camden's Levertons to arrange the funeral of Prince Philip on April 17
- 9 For Nazanin's sake, hostage-taking must be a nuclear deal issue
- 10 Myanmar ambassador pleads for help from Hampstead doorstep