Hockey: Hampstead men bounce back with win
- Credit: Archant
Hampstead & Westminster got back to winning ways in the Premier Division in their last match of 2018.
Having lost their unbeaten record at East Grinstead, they defeated struggling University of Exeter 2-0 at Maida Vale to keep the pressure on leaders Surbiton.
Richard Smith fired them in front from a short corner on 10 minutes and the hosts created a string of chances in a dominant display.
The visiting keeper made several fine saves, though, and Hampstead needed Toby Reynolds-Cotterill to pull off a double save at the other end and Marc Edwards to clear off the line before half time.
More opportunities went begging in the second half, but Hampstead sealed the points on 64 minutes when Sam French finished off from another corner.
You may also want to watch:
Surbiton’s loss to Beeston leaves Hampstead in second place on goal difference going into the winter break. They now focus on their indoor campaign, bidding for a Super 6s finals spot.
- 1 North London floods return – with South End Green deluged again
- 2 Haverstock Hill cycle lanes set for approval by Camden Council – again
- 3 'Body blow': Crouch End NatWest bank to close
- 4 Historic Archway site set for major housing development after land sale
- 5 Call for answers after flood 'destroyed parents' love letters and vinyl records'
- 6 Source Bulk Foods health store opens in Crouch End
- 7 'The council thought asking your view is unnecessary'
- 8 'Like the Fleet's resurfaced': Flash flooding hits Hampstead and Highgate
- 9 'The euphoria felt like the Summer of Love' – Kaleidoscope at Ally Pally
- 10 'Time for the government to face up to the climate emergency'