Hampstead men are in seventh heaven after coming through Canterbury test

Hampstead & Westminster men's first-team face the camera (pic: Hampstead & Westminster HC).

Hampstead & Westminster men's first-team face the camera (pic: Hampstead & Westminster HC). - Credit: Archant

Mikie Watt hit form much to the delight of the packed crowd at Paddington Recreation Ground

It proved to be an enjoyable weekend for Hampstead & Westminster’s men and women first-teams.

The men faced bottom of the table Canterbury in the Premier Division and were eager to come out firing having earned just a point on their travels to Wimbledon and Surbiton.

It did not take long for Mikie Watt to open the scoring in front of a packed crowd at Paddington Recreation Ground after just two minutes.

Hampstead kept the pressure on the away side, but took until the 17th minute to find the net again with a trademark Matt Guise-Brown penalty corner, quickly followed by new GB signing Harry Martin claiming his first league goal for the club.

With Canterbury reeling, Ireland’s Watt struck twice more before the half-time break to complete a half hour hat-trick and give Hampstead a dominate 5-0 lead going into the break.

The second half was a scrappier affair but Watt put away his fourth goal before Jonny Gooch sealed the 7-0 win with a last-minute goal.

Most Read

The result moves Hampstead up to third, three points behind Beeston who they travel to this weekend for a crucial six-pointer.

Meanwhile, the women kept up their 100 per cent start to the season and remain top of the Conference East after a 1-0 win at Bedford.

Having had three wins in a row it was important for the Hampstead to not fall into any complacency against a newly-promoted team, but the visitors did start sluggishly and the deadlock remained at half time.

They started the second half with more energy though and dominated the play, yet they were up against a well organised Bedford side.

A penalty corner deflection by Annabel Driver on 42 minutes, however, finally broke the deadlock and gave the visitors the lead.

Even though Hampstead kept most of the possession and chances for the rest of the game, it ended with no further goals and therefore just a narrow win.

They still managed to bag the three points and keep their unbeaten record, which they’ll look to maintain when St Albans visit their home this Saturday.