Hampstead leap up the table after overcoming title contenders Southgate
- Credit: Archant
Hampstead leapt out of the relegation zone in the Premier Division of the Middlesex County League, jumping three places up the table, after a much-needed victory on Saturday.
The reigning champions have been struggling at the wrong end of the table this season but they looked more like their usual selves at their Lymington Road home on this occasion, beating title contenders Southgate and leapfrogging Shepherd’s Bush, Twickenham and Stanmore to climb up to sixth place.
Hampstead captain Steve Clark won the toss and his side made a wobbly start, finding themselves 48-3 after losing George Adair (11), Sam Evison (10) and Henry Collier (11).
But Clark (35) shared a 39-run partnership with Liam Hughes and the latter went on to top-score for his side with a knock of 67 which included 10 fours, leading the hosts to 183-5 with assistance from Ollie Steele (10) and Archie Fellowes.
Hughes was dismissed but Fellowes carried on to reach 46 and Jonathan Dunne struck 30 off 19 balls before being caught at the end of the innings as Hampstead posted 230-8 from their 50 overs.
You may also want to watch:
Southgate made a good start to their reply, Cameron Steel (41) helping them to reach 141-4 – but they lost three wickets for two runs as Collier (3-26) and Fellowes (1-29) made key contributions.
Faisal Mir (32) and Phil Dunnett (20 not out) put on 48 together but Mir was run out by Adair and Will Roberts (2-29) promptly took the last two wickets to leave the visitors short of 200 after 46 overs.
- 1 Coldplay and Ed Sheeran to perform at Earthshot Prize ceremony at Ally Pally
- 2 Man, 26, stabbed in Camden 'fight'
- 3 Muswell Hill man captures picture of car bursting into flames in high street
- 4 Guilty: Kentish Town man convicted of murdering Jack Ampadu
- 5 Charles de Gaulle's old Hampstead home on sale for £15m
- 6 Tributes paid to Primrose Hill mother-of-four as fundraiser launched
- 7 Muswell Hill couple slam planning laws as chipboard outhouse appears
- 8 Man charged with murder of Nicole Hurley in Primrose Hill
- 9 'Forever grateful': Community steps up after man's dog dies on Hampstead Heath
- 10 West Hampstead mum Nazanin 'loses appeal' in Iran