Hampstead ladies win North London Women’s League title
- Credit: Archant
Hampstead’s ladies have won the North London Women’s League with a game in hand following a confident victory away against arch-rivals Wanstead on Sunday.
Angela Bonura and Sian Culley each took three wickets, while young Emma Edwards recorded figures of 2-10 as the home side were skittled for 114 from 23 overs, with Natalie Wheat offering the most resistance with 40.
In reply, Hampstead captain Lucy Horitz and Culley notched up 36 from the first eight overs before Horitz was caught for 21.
That brought Bonura to the crease for her debut innings – and she went on to hit a half-century from 35 balls, finishing with an unbeaten 55 alongside Culley (23 not out) as Hampstead reached their target in less than 18 overs and with only one wicket down.
That victory secured 18 points which brought the Division A title to Lymington Road with one game to spare, ensuring Hampstead will be able to enjoy their final match at home against Ickenham on August 25 (1.30pm).
You may also want to watch:
Captain Horitz was suitably delighted, saying: “We’ve finished runners-up to Wanstead for the last two seasons, so it was fitting that defeating them brought us the league triumph.
“I say it every week, but yet again this was a wonderful group effort with everyone contributing to the win with tight fielding, challenging bowling and positive batting.
- 1 All Camden care home residents given Covid jab
- 2 Crouch End's 'Paul the Paper' bids farewell to Broadway stall
- 3 Mikel Arteta turns focus to new signings after Arsenal let fringe players leave
- 4 Apology to Barnet mother for 'embarrassing' food parcel
- 5 Councillors slam 'outrageous' change of plans for 100 Avenue Road
- 6 'People are scared to come out', say Hampstead coffee shops
- 7 Hampstead vaccination centre shoots for 1,000 daily Covid jabs
- 8 Hampstead Heath guru Diane is 'a lifeline' for women's walking group
- 9 Lord's Cricket Ground used as Covid-19 vaccination centre
- 10 Arsenal agree to terminate contract of defender Sokratis Papastathopoulos
“We always love playing at Lymington Road and to finish our league season with another resounding win would be very satisfying. It’s a bank holiday weekend so we’ll definitely be celebrating in style that evening.”