Hampstead Ladies win league title and earn promotion in first season
- Credit: Archant
Women’s football: Sarah Garlick struck the winning goal as Hampstead Ladies won their title decider against Tower Hamlets to finish top of their division in the Greater London Women’s League and earn promotion in their first season.
After a hard-fought season, Hampstead went into the final showdown needing a point to be crowned champions in Division Two North.
Tower Hamlets had beaten their title rivals in the previous meeting – one of only three defeats fort Hampstead this season – and they nearly took the lead this time, hitting the bar inside the first 10 minutes.
But that was the wake-up call that Hampstead needed, and they had the better of the chances in the first half, narrowly missing the target.
The atmosphere was tense at half-time as a draw seemed unlikely, with both teams battling for the crucial goal – and it was Hampstead who got it 15 minutes after the restart as the ball fell to Garlick, who struck a low shot on the turn and saw it nestle in the bottom left corner.
You may also want to watch:
That gave them some breathing room as Tower Hamlets now needed to score twice. And, although the last half an hour was nervy, Hampstead retained possession well to run down the clock and secure a 1-0 victory.
Hampstead Ladies manager Glenn Shimmins said: “It has been a fantastic first season. I am truly proud of the girls and what they have achieved.
- 1 Women attacked by wrench-wielding man in Hampstead
- 2 South Hampstead neighbours mourn tree felled by Storm Christoph
- 3 Keeping your distance: Hampstead joggers and creperie crowds
- 4 Every single critical care bed full at hospitals
- 5 'Big victory,' says man behind Haverstock Hill cycle lanes legal challenge
- 6 Buyers claim luxury flats are 'nightmare' construction site
- 7 Crouch End's 'Paul the Paper' bids farewell to Broadway stall
- 8 Arteta 'very disappointed' by Arsenal exit
- 9 Haverstock Hill cycle lanes order scrapped by Camden Council
- 10 In pictures: The Parkland Walk in lockdown
“The target was to get promotion in the first season and that is exactly what the ladies delivered. They are an awesome bunch and I am looking forward to next season.”
Hampstead Football Club are looking to add to their existing teams for next season. Call club manager Andy Histed on 07702242732 or email email@example.com for information about boys’ and girls’ youth teams from Under-seven to Under-18 age groups. Call Glenn Shimmins on 07523173823 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to enquire about playing for the ladies’ team.