Hampstead Ladies’ second string are runners-up in Griffin Cup
- Credit: Archant
Hampstead Ladies’ second team were runners-up in the Griffin Cup at the weekend after being defeated by Teddington at Finchley RFC.
Teddington started brightly with a try but were soon pegged back when Hampstead centre Kirsty Morgan powered her way over the line to equalise.
With the game nearing half-time, Hampstead found themselves 10-5 down but they were level again by the break when winger Sweeney Chand went over to tie the scores.
Hampstead took a hold of the game after the interval through their dominant pack, but Teddington’s superior fitness told in the final 15 minutes and they were able to secure victory with two further converted tries.
“I am really proud of the girls today,” said Hampstead captain Helena Messiter-Tooze. “We have had a lot of people out of position and everyone put their bodies on the line in trying to get that win.
You may also want to watch:
“There is plenty that we can take away from that match and work on for the cup competitions next season.”
Meanwhile, Hampstead Ladies’ first team finished their season off in style with an emphatic 48-12 win against Ashford Ladies, with Lilly Hunt touching down six times.
- 1 Teenager dies after stabbing in Archway
- 2 Man detained after series of attacks on women in Hampstead
- 3 The snow is beautiful and fun - but during Covid we must stick to the rules
- 4 Ole & Steen bakery set to open in Hampstead's former Café Rouge
- 5 Pictures: Fun for families as the snow arrives on Hampstead Heath
- 6 Arsenal boss Mikel Arteta expecting another tough game against Southampton
- 7 Royal Free calls in the army as 'unprecedented' demand continues
- 8 South Hampstead neighbours mourn tree felled by Storm Christoph
- 9 Buyers claim luxury flats are 'nightmare' construction site
- 10 Women attacked by wrench-wielding man in Hampstead
Alexis Bloom and Robyn Drake also crossed the try-line as Hampstead finished third in Championship South East Division Two.