Hampstead Ladies’ second string are runners-up in Griffin Cup
- Credit: Archant
Hampstead Ladies’ second team were runners-up in the Griffin Cup at the weekend after being defeated by Teddington at Finchley RFC.
Teddington started brightly with a try but were soon pegged back when Hampstead centre Kirsty Morgan powered her way over the line to equalise.
With the game nearing half-time, Hampstead found themselves 10-5 down but they were level again by the break when winger Sweeney Chand went over to tie the scores.
Hampstead took a hold of the game after the interval through their dominant pack, but Teddington’s superior fitness told in the final 15 minutes and they were able to secure victory with two further converted tries.
“I am really proud of the girls today,” said Hampstead captain Helena Messiter-Tooze. “We have had a lot of people out of position and everyone put their bodies on the line in trying to get that win.
“There is plenty that we can take away from that match and work on for the cup competitions next season.”
Meanwhile, Hampstead Ladies’ first team finished their season off in style with an emphatic 48-12 win against Ashford Ladies, with Lilly Hunt touching down six times.
- 1 Alexandra Palace: 2 hospitalised in Red Bull's Soapbox Race
- 2 I want to philately! Freddie Mercury’s stamp collection goes on display
- 3 Five classic Rolling Stones moments at BST Hyde Park
- 4 In pictures: Wacky racers descend on Alexandra Palace for soapbox challenge
- 5 Bentley Motor blue plaque in North London 'prized off wall and stolen'
- 6 Camden watchmaker launches crowdfunding campaign
- 7 The Rolling Stones prove rock ‘n’ roll is alive and kicking at Hyde Park
- 8 Start-up delivers home cooked meals to your door
- 9 Opening date confirmed for new Finchley Road Aldi
- 10 Fences and padlocks at Primrose Hill once again
Alexis Bloom and Robyn Drake also crossed the try-line as Hampstead finished third in Championship South East Division Two.