Hampstead ladies earn the right to represent Middlesex in Pearson Trophy
- Credit: Archant
Hampstead’s ladies will represent Middlesex in the inter-counties finals of the Pearson Trophy later this month after winning the London title.
Eighteen clubs contested the Middlesex crown in matches during the spring – each fielding seven-person teams – and Hampstead topped their group convincingly to progress to the finals day at Northwood, where they faced fellow group-winners Finchley, Hendon and Muswell Hill.
The semi-final pitted them against Finchley, and Hampstead’s first lady out, Susie Gregson won her match after just 11 of the 18 holes, paving the way for a 5-2 victory which sent Hampstead into the final against Hendon.
Hampstead had shown their strength in depth by drawing on a pool of 17 players during the season. And, although their seven finalists all had higher handicaps than their Hendon opponents, they performed admirably.
Hampstead were 3-2 down after five of the seven matches, but Hazel Stuart and Molly Meacher won their clashes to earn a 4-3 triumph.
You may also want to watch:
It is the third time that Hampstead have won the Middlesex title, following successes in 2002 and 2007, and they will contest the inter-counties finals against Kent, Hertfordshire and Surrey at Muswell Hill Golf Club on July 25.
- 1 Car driver arrested after crash with van in Camden Town
- 2 'Safe and secure home' - Camden takes landlord to court over eviction threat
- 3 Piers Plowright obituary: BBC and Hampstead star dies at 83
- 4 Charitable hospital set to open new £35m wing
- 5 Man charged with indecent exposure and voyeurism in West Hampstead
- 6 Anger over Thames Water and Westminster Council's flash floods response
- 7 O2 Centre: Developer says it 'will listen' but still aiming for 1,900 homes
- 8 North London floods return – with South End Green deluged again
- 9 Thames Water 'sorry' after Finchley Road diversion sees cars damaged
- 10 'Like the Fleet's resurfaced': Flash flooding hits Hampstead and Highgate