Hampstead Ladies are in sevens heaven as they shun summer break
- Credit: Archant
Hampstead Ladies have kept themselves busy through the ‘off season’ by participating in a series of sevens tournaments – including fielding two full squads in the popular Summer Social competition in Richmond.
Having enjoyed a successful sevens campaign last year, Hampstead challenged themselves by facing some tough teams, holding their own against the German national team and Saracens and scoring points against Wasps.
That provided a competitive build-up to the Summer Social event. The first team, captained by Francisca Hall, got through to the semi-finals, only to be knocked out by Wasps and watch Richmond – a side Hampstead had beaten earlier in the day – lift the trophy.
Meanwhile the second string participated in the Ultra Social tournament and made it to the plate final – a fine achievement for a team that lacked experience, with a number of representatives playing their very first games of rugby.
That was followed by a trip to Wasps’ tournament – where victories over Loughborough and Teddington secured a place in the play-off match for third place – and then a first appearance at the MK7s tournament, where there were mixed results but some good wins.
You may also want to watch:
Hampstead then finished on a high at the FRN competition, winning all of their pool games before being pipped in the final by an invitational side that the ladies had already beaten as they ended up second.
- 1 Nazanin may become 'bargaining chip' in Iran nuclear deal, warns husband
- 2 Column: Major changes expected at Tottenham in the summer?
- 3 Optimism as Crouch End and Muswell Hill shops, bars and cafes reopen
- 4 Camden's Levertons to arrange the funeral of Prince Philip on April 17
- 5 Mary Feilding Guild: Warning of severe health impact on elderly residents
- 6 Wac Arts: West End stars among ex-students who can 'no longer endorse' charity
- 7 'Silver lining of lockdown': Blockheads saxophonist brings Muswell Hill cheer
- 8 Crackdown on 'blue badge' disability parking fraud in Haringey
- 9 For sale: Edwardian home in East Finchley with south-facing garden
- 10 Primrose Hill to close at night this weekend after antisocial behaviour