Hampstead Ladies are in sevens heaven as they shun summer break
- Credit: Archant
Hampstead Ladies have kept themselves busy through the ‘off season’ by participating in a series of sevens tournaments – including fielding two full squads in the popular Summer Social competition in Richmond.
Having enjoyed a successful sevens campaign last year, Hampstead challenged themselves by facing some tough teams, holding their own against the German national team and Saracens and scoring points against Wasps.
That provided a competitive build-up to the Summer Social event. The first team, captained by Francisca Hall, got through to the semi-finals, only to be knocked out by Wasps and watch Richmond – a side Hampstead had beaten earlier in the day – lift the trophy.
Meanwhile the second string participated in the Ultra Social tournament and made it to the plate final – a fine achievement for a team that lacked experience, with a number of representatives playing their very first games of rugby.
That was followed by a trip to Wasps’ tournament – where victories over Loughborough and Teddington secured a place in the play-off match for third place – and then a first appearance at the MK7s tournament, where there were mixed results but some good wins.
You may also want to watch:
Hampstead then finished on a high at the FRN competition, winning all of their pool games before being pipped in the final by an invitational side that the ladies had already beaten as they ended up second.
- 1 Camden residents offered symptom-free Covid testing
- 2 Buyers claim luxury flats are 'nightmare' construction site
- 3 Haverstock Hill cycle lanes order scrapped by Camden Council
- 4 Crouch End's 'Paul the Paper' bids farewell to Broadway stall
- 5 Mikel Arteta turns focus to new signings after Arsenal let fringe players leave
- 6 Plans for council homes to replace Highgate car wash
- 7 Councillors slam 'outrageous' change of plans for 100 Avenue Road
- 8 Arsenal legend Nigel Winterburn relieved to see Mesut Ozil depart
- 9 All Camden care home residents given Covid jab
- 10 Arsenal look to bounce back at home to West Ham