Hampstead just can’t get the breaks in defeat against Beaconsfield
- Credit: Archant
Hampstead came agonisingly close to their first victory of the season away at high-flying Beaconsfield, but individual errors again cost them dearly as they went down 24-7 in London Division Two North-West.
Hampstead started brightly and enjoyed most of the possession for the first 20 minutes yet, as in previous games, they failed to convert pressure into points, leaving them exposed to counter-attacks.
That is exactly what happened for Beaconsfield’s opening try as the home team turned the ball over and won possession in their own 22 before launching a massive kick downfield. Hampstead’s inexperienced back three didn’t deal with the kick and the hosts scored under the posts.
The visitors suffered another blow as veteran full-back Ben Savigar-Jones limped off, leaving Hampstead exposed at the back – and Beaconsfield’s second try was a mirror image of the first, while a penalty soon followed to leave the score 17-0 at the interval.
Hampstead could have given up, but instead they came out fighting and Andy McEwen bundled over after a storming run from Jon Beswick, while Morgan Clement added the extras with the conversion.
You may also want to watch:
The away team had further chances to close the gap but they failed to take them – and in the dying moments Beaconsfield scored one more, largely undeserved, try.
Meanwhile, UCS Old Boys suffered a 39-13 home defeat against St Albans, and their sixth successive league loss leaves them bottom the table.
- 1 Is lockdown working in north London? Here's what the latest data tells us
- 2 Arsenal 'showing maturity' says David Luiz
- 3 Joan Bakewell fires legal threat to government over second Covid jab
- 4 O2 Centre: developer Landsec 'looking to re-provide' Sainsbury's
- 5 Royal Free's critical care beds 98pc full as Covid-19 cases top 500
- 6 Jeremy Corbyn launches Peace and Justice Project with calls to action
- 7 Ozil set for Arsenal exit
- 8 Homeschooling in lockdown: Top tips for a north London parent
- 9 More goals, less mistakes needed says Spurs boss Mourinho
- 10 Letters: Local business, vaccination, Abacus and The Ponds