Hampstead just can’t get the breaks in defeat against Beaconsfield
- Credit: Archant
Hampstead came agonisingly close to their first victory of the season away at high-flying Beaconsfield, but individual errors again cost them dearly as they went down 24-7 in London Division Two North-West.
Hampstead started brightly and enjoyed most of the possession for the first 20 minutes yet, as in previous games, they failed to convert pressure into points, leaving them exposed to counter-attacks.
That is exactly what happened for Beaconsfield’s opening try as the home team turned the ball over and won possession in their own 22 before launching a massive kick downfield. Hampstead’s inexperienced back three didn’t deal with the kick and the hosts scored under the posts.
The visitors suffered another blow as veteran full-back Ben Savigar-Jones limped off, leaving Hampstead exposed at the back – and Beaconsfield’s second try was a mirror image of the first, while a penalty soon followed to leave the score 17-0 at the interval.
Hampstead could have given up, but instead they came out fighting and Andy McEwen bundled over after a storming run from Jon Beswick, while Morgan Clement added the extras with the conversion.
You may also want to watch:
The away team had further chances to close the gap but they failed to take them – and in the dying moments Beaconsfield scored one more, largely undeserved, try.
Meanwhile, UCS Old Boys suffered a 39-13 home defeat against St Albans, and their sixth successive league loss leaves them bottom the table.
- 1 Coldplay and Ed Sheeran to perform at Earthshot Prize ceremony at Ally Pally
- 2 Muswell Hill man captures picture of car bursting into flames in high street
- 3 Charles de Gaulle's old Hampstead home on sale for £15m
- 4 'Forever grateful': Community steps up after man's dog dies on Hampstead Heath
- 5 West Hampstead mum Nazanin 'loses appeal' in Iran
- 6 Tributes paid to Primrose Hill mother-of-four as fundraiser launched
- 7 Muswell Hill couple slam planning laws as chipboard outhouse appears
- 8 Man charged with murder of Nicole Hurley in Primrose Hill
- 9 Primrose Hill 'Howloween' party to support rescue dogs
- 10 Crouch End drugs raid sees 'cannabis plants and equipment seized'