Hampstead just can’t get the breaks in defeat against Beaconsfield
- Credit: Archant
Hampstead came agonisingly close to their first victory of the season away at high-flying Beaconsfield, but individual errors again cost them dearly as they went down 24-7 in London Division Two North-West.
Hampstead started brightly and enjoyed most of the possession for the first 20 minutes yet, as in previous games, they failed to convert pressure into points, leaving them exposed to counter-attacks.
That is exactly what happened for Beaconsfield’s opening try as the home team turned the ball over and won possession in their own 22 before launching a massive kick downfield. Hampstead’s inexperienced back three didn’t deal with the kick and the hosts scored under the posts.
The visitors suffered another blow as veteran full-back Ben Savigar-Jones limped off, leaving Hampstead exposed at the back – and Beaconsfield’s second try was a mirror image of the first, while a penalty soon followed to leave the score 17-0 at the interval.
Hampstead could have given up, but instead they came out fighting and Andy McEwen bundled over after a storming run from Jon Beswick, while Morgan Clement added the extras with the conversion.
You may also want to watch:
The away team had further chances to close the gap but they failed to take them – and in the dying moments Beaconsfield scored one more, largely undeserved, try.
Meanwhile, UCS Old Boys suffered a 39-13 home defeat against St Albans, and their sixth successive league loss leaves them bottom the table.
- 1 Buyers launch legal action after £75k bill for flammable cladding
- 2 When Prince's Sign o' the Times shop opened in Camden
- 3 'Big elephant's backside': David Hare and Nicole Farhi slam house plans
- 4 Senior councillors knew of chance to buy office block for £12m less than they paid
- 5 New Belsize restaurant Cinder enjoys busy opening after lockdown delays
- 6 Abandoned burger trailer finally removed from Muswell Hill street
- 7 Temple Fortune's Cohens Jewellers celebrates turning 50 - a year late
- 8 'Peace and Quiet' of Muswell Hill in band's new video
- 9 'Football is everything': Camden United on tackling knife crime and supporting community
- 10 Car crashes through South Hampstead garden wall - cyclist seriously injured