Hampstead juniors show tourists their skills in Trafalgar Square
- Credit: Archant
Hampstead Rugby Club’s juniors were treated to a special training session on a purpose-built pitch in the middle of Trafalgar Square as part of the RFU’s build-up to Saturday’s World Cup final.
Twenty-two players from the Under-13 and Under-14 squads went through various drills, overseen by tourists – all under the shadow of Nelson’s Column.
Hampstead chairman Simon Taylor said: “Having signed up to the All Schools project a couple of years ago, the club has had real benefits. Not only do the kids and the parents get to experience sessions like this, it’s had a real impact on attracting new joiners.”
The event capped a rewarding Rugby World Cup experience for Hampstead’s youngsters after two of their players, Morwenna Taylor and Adam Reeves, were chosen as flag bearers and medal presenters at the ‘Team Welcoming’ sessions, greeting the Wales and New Zealand squads.
Taylor added: “It’s so pleasing to see the kids engaged like this and we hope to continue to invite would-be rugby-playing kids to the club.”
You may also want to watch:
Hampstead now intend to increase the number of girls playing the game and are hosting a free ‘Pitch up and Play’ session for girls aged 12 to 16 on November 21.
Everyone is welcome to take part between 11am and 1pm in the middle of the athletics track at Parliament Hill.
- 1 Buyers launch legal action after £75k bill for flammable cladding
- 2 Developer's plan for six houses in old pub car park in Highgate Hill
- 3 Car crashes through South Hampstead garden wall - cyclist seriously injured
- 4 Abandoned burger trailer finally removed from Muswell Hill street
- 5 Senior councillors knew of chance to buy office block for £12m less than they paid
- 6 The Heath, exhaust theft, public access, Centene, the Streatery and more
- 7 Nazanin may become 'bargaining chip' in Iran nuclear deal, warns husband
- 8 Woman dies after house fire in Muswell Hill
- 9 Boy George and Bananarama join Kenwood 2021 concert line up
- 10 New Belsize restaurant Cinder enjoys busy opening after lockdown delays