Hampstead golfer Olivia heading to British final of Long Drive Championships
- Credit: Mark Newcombe / visionsingolf.com
South Hampstead’s Olivia Rael-Brook has qualified as top seed for the final of the American Golf UK Long Drive Championships.
The 18-year-old hit a 291-yard drive to leave her one step away from claiming the women’s national title and a place at the World Championships in the United States.
Rael-Brook, a student at Millfield School, was one of thousands of budding long drivers from all over Europe who entered the event run by nationwide golf retailer American Golf.
After winning the first stage of qualifying at her local American Golf store in March, she progressed to regional qualifying where she sent out her monster 291-yard effort.
She now lines up against the best long drivers in Europe at Chester Racecourse on August 2, where she will be the guest of American Golf and tournament sponsor Callaway to do battle for the national title and the only UK qualifying spot for the World Championships in Oklahoma.
You may also want to watch:
Having made it to the final in 2017, she said: “I’m feeling ecstatic to perform in the national final! I am really looking forward to it and know it will be a challenge because I am up against some really long hitters.”
Matt Bacon, head of events at American Golf, added: “Although we’ve seen golfers from all over the world fly in to take part, this competition is all about the huge numbers of loyal American Golf customers who come back year after year to compete in store.
- 1 Police investigate reported rape of teenager
- 2 Emergency services at Gospel Oak estate over safety concern
- 3 Famous Parliament Hill view still obscured as nesting birds delay work
- 4 'Picture of health': Mum's tribute to son who died of sudden cardiac arrest
- 5 Camden Council wrongly refused housing to domestic abuse victim
- 6 Haverstock Hill cycle lanes given the green light
- 7 All's Well That Ends Well – al fresco
- 8 Piers Plowright: 'An extraordinary force, devoted to Hampstead'
- 9 The Vagina Museum searches for new home as Camden Market leases end
- 10 Car driver arrested after crash with van in Camden Town
“Having Callaway as sponsor has been a huge draw this year and with them involved the mixture of talent we have has raised the bar for the competition. I can’t wait to get the qualifiers to Chester to compete for what is now without a doubt Europe’s most prestigious long drive title.”
Nathan Dennis, retail marketing manager at 2018 tournament sponsor Callaway Golf, said: “It’s been fantastic seeing so many golfers trying the new Callaway Rogue Drivers to give themselves the best chance of qualifying in store and we can’t wait to greet all of the qualifiers at Chester Racecourse for what promises to be an incredible final.
“It’s a real pleasure for Callaway to be at the heart of helping so many people get the best out of their game and this tournament has been a perfect example of what our Jailbreak Technology can do to unlock golfer’s distance potential.”
The Under-45, Over-45 and Ladies finals will be shown on Sky Sports, with free entry for spectators.