Hockey: Hampstead & Westminster duo in GB squad
- Credit: PA Archive/PA Images
Hampstead & Westminster’s Harry Martin and Will Calnan have been named in Great Britain’s match with Belgium on Wednesday October 3.
New head coach Danny Kerry has picked 20 players for his first match in charge as GB take on Belgium in the Anniversary International, 30 years on from winning Olympic gold in Seoul.
And the squad has a mix of youth and experience with two-time Olympian Martin (186), Barry Middleton (418), Adam Dixon (226) and Henry Weir (158) having almost 1,000 international caps between them.
Calnan, 22, made his debut in June and has three caps so far and Kerry said: “It’s great the recognise the 1988 team’s success in this fixture. For the current GB squad we will be using it to look at developing our play, our combinations and our understanding of the playing group looking to both the World Cup and FIH Pro League starting in January.
“Belgium are an excellent team with excellent players and there will no doubt be plenty of exciting hockey on show.”
The fixture will provide a key part of the squad’s preparations as England build up towards the Hockey World Cup this November and December in Bhubaneswar before Great Britain embark on their FIH Pro League campaign, the ground-breaking new format for international hockey.
A number of legends from the 1988 team will in attendance for a night of nostalgia as their success is remembered and celebrated.
- 1 'Unimaginable loss': Father and daughter stabbed to death in north London
- 2 Covid-19: Omicron variant case confirmed in Camden
- 3 Hanukkah 2021: Five events in north London tonight
- 4 Warnings of ice across London amid plummeting temperatures
- 5 Hampstead Heath to host first Christmas Fayre
- 6 Tottenham boss Antonio Conte looking to revamp squad in transfer windows
- 7 Stunning light trail wraps up Kenwood like a giant Christmas present
- 8 Movement off the ball key to Arsenal's win against Newcastle
- 9 PLU: St John's Wood restaurant finds the right formula
- 10 CCTV: Man makes ‘sexually explicit comments’ to teen on tube
Tickets are still available for the match, which starts at 7.30pm. See greatbritainhockey.co.uk for more details.
Squad: Harry Gibson, George Pinner, Liam Sanford, Michael Hoare, Henry Weir, Luke Taylor, Adam Dixon, Jack Waller, James Gall, Ian Sloan, Rhys Smith, Chris Griffiths, Harry Martin, Barry Middleton, David Condon, Phil Roper, Zach Wallace, Alan Forsyth, Will Calnan, Sam Ward.