Hampstead break club record and set sights on promotion
- Credit: George Phillipou/TGS Photo
Hampstead Rugby Club collected a record number of league wins this season – and head coach Peter Breen has vowed they are ready to go all the way next term.
The 39-18 success over Enfield Ignatians was the club’s 18th success and left them with a total of 90 points in London North West Two.
That was good enough for third, just outside the promotion play-off spot, but would have seen them clinch the title in two of the last five years.
And that gives Breen plenty of confidence as the summer begins.
He said: “We are already looking to see if we can improve in certain areas.
“We will strengthen our ties with LSC to get players from the university playing and look to go one further.
“The big thing for us is we don’t want to go up and lose 26 games; we want to go up and stay up.
- 1 Barnet: Three arrested as victim of fatal stabbing named
- 2 Spurs survive 'Lasagna-gate 2' and it's over to Arsenal
- 3 Covid-19: Hospital admissions and bed occupancy continue to fall
- 4 Man in his 30s stabbed to death
- 5 St John's Wood nursery 'requires improvement' after surprise Ofsted visit
- 6 Court: Disciplinary rules not followed in 'unfair' sacking, lawyer suggests
- 7 Motorcyclist injured in Highgate Hill collision
- 8 West Hampstead woman's kids' clothes success story
- 9 'The law isn't important to us': Car tyres deflated by activists in Camden
- 10 Hampstead woman tells tribunal of alleged racist discrimination
“We now feel we can. With the seconds winning the Middlesex Merit Table Cup, the club is in a healthy position.
“It’ll be quite tough [to win promotion] but we are always capable of scoring a lot of tries.”
They managed another seven on Saturday with James Ferguson and Arthur Haynes scoring two each and Pete Wood, Andy McEwen and George Johnson getting the others.
It was McEwen’s last game for the club before a move to Hong Kong and Breen says he will be a loss to he club, on and off the pitch.
“We’re losing a club legend,” he said. “Some say he’s one of the best to have played for the club.”