Hampstead battle to Hammersmith success
- Credit: Archant
Hampstead Ladies battled to a 19-10 victory over Hammersmith & Fulham in the Women’s Conference South East Two.
An unseasonably warm and dry February day provided perfect conditions for a competitive game.
Hampstead started strongly hitting hard and making some good ground. However, the home side notched the first score with some strong running from one of their stand-out players, who was difficult to contain all match.
Hampstead hit back quickly with some slick hands getting the ball out to back-of-the-match Micha Palmer who went over for Hampstead’s first converted score.
The Hampstead back three combined again with full-back Danielle Grant going under the posts and although the conversion was charged down, it left Hampstead 12-10 up at the break.
You may also want to watch:
The match remained end to end in the second half and Hampstead did well to dominate possession despite struggling at times in the set piece.
Some excellent defence kept the home team out on several occasions and the quick thinking of scrum-half Rachel Grovenor, who dropped on a ball following a hugely impressive five-metre scrum by Hammersmith, denied a further try.
- 1 North London floods return – with South End Green deluged again
- 2 Tottenham squad is slowly taking shape but uncertainty remains
- 3 'Body blow': Crouch End NatWest bank to close
- 4 Arsenal complete signing of Norweigan midfielder Frida Maanum
- 5 Source Bulk Foods health store opens in Crouch End
- 6 Haverstock Hill cycle lanes set for approval by Camden Council – again
- 7 'The council thought asking your view is unnecessary'
- 8 Thames Water 'sorry' after Finchley Road diversion sees cars damaged
- 9 Historic Archway site set for major housing development after land sale
- 10 Piers Plowright obituary: BBC and Hampstead star dies at 83
And it was Palmer who helped seal the final result, showing outstanding pace from inside her own half to cross once again under the posts.
Fly-half Angela Chapado added her second conversion of the day to complete the win.
Hampstead play their final league game of the season on Sunday, March 19, when they entertain Old Albanian Ladies.