Hampstead battle to Hammersmith success
- Credit: Archant
Hampstead Ladies battled to a 19-10 victory over Hammersmith & Fulham in the Women’s Conference South East Two.
An unseasonably warm and dry February day provided perfect conditions for a competitive game.
Hampstead started strongly hitting hard and making some good ground. However, the home side notched the first score with some strong running from one of their stand-out players, who was difficult to contain all match.
Hampstead hit back quickly with some slick hands getting the ball out to back-of-the-match Micha Palmer who went over for Hampstead’s first converted score.
The Hampstead back three combined again with full-back Danielle Grant going under the posts and although the conversion was charged down, it left Hampstead 12-10 up at the break.
You may also want to watch:
The match remained end to end in the second half and Hampstead did well to dominate possession despite struggling at times in the set piece.
Some excellent defence kept the home team out on several occasions and the quick thinking of scrum-half Rachel Grovenor, who dropped on a ball following a hugely impressive five-metre scrum by Hammersmith, denied a further try.
- 1 All Camden care home residents given Covid jab
- 2 Crouch End's 'Paul the Paper' bids farewell to Broadway stall
- 3 Apology to Barnet mother for 'embarrassing' food parcel
- 4 'People are scared to come out', say Hampstead coffee shops
- 5 Hampstead vaccination centre shoots for 1,000 daily Covid jabs
- 6 Lord's Cricket Ground used as Covid-19 vaccination centre
- 7 Arsenal agree to terminate contract of defender Sokratis Papastathopoulos
- 8 Joan Bakewell fires legal threat to government over second Covid jab
- 9 Maida Vale florist starts weekly subscription to brighten lockdown
- 10 Jeremy Corbyn launches Peace and Justice Project with calls to action
And it was Palmer who helped seal the final result, showing outstanding pace from inside her own half to cross once again under the posts.
Fly-half Angela Chapado added her second conversion of the day to complete the win.
Hampstead play their final league game of the season on Sunday, March 19, when they entertain Old Albanian Ladies.