Hampstead battle to Hammersmith success
- Credit: Archant
Hampstead Ladies battled to a 19-10 victory over Hammersmith & Fulham in the Women’s Conference South East Two.
An unseasonably warm and dry February day provided perfect conditions for a competitive game.
Hampstead started strongly hitting hard and making some good ground. However, the home side notched the first score with some strong running from one of their stand-out players, who was difficult to contain all match.
Hampstead hit back quickly with some slick hands getting the ball out to back-of-the-match Micha Palmer who went over for Hampstead’s first converted score.
The Hampstead back three combined again with full-back Danielle Grant going under the posts and although the conversion was charged down, it left Hampstead 12-10 up at the break.
The match remained end to end in the second half and Hampstead did well to dominate possession despite struggling at times in the set piece.
Some excellent defence kept the home team out on several occasions and the quick thinking of scrum-half Rachel Grovenor, who dropped on a ball following a hugely impressive five-metre scrum by Hammersmith, denied a further try.
- 1 Alexandra Palace: 2 hospitalised in Red Bull's Soapbox Race
- 2 I want to philately! Freddie Mercury’s stamp collection goes on display
- 3 Five classic Rolling Stones moments at BST Hyde Park
- 4 The Rolling Stones prove rock ‘n’ roll is alive and kicking at Hyde Park
- 5 Police called to 'youth with knife trying to climb school gates'
- 6 In pictures: Wacky racers descend on Alexandra Palace for soapbox challenge
- 7 Camden watchmaker launches crowdfunding campaign
- 8 Bentley Motor blue plaque in North London 'prized off wall and stolen'
- 9 Gabriel Jesus solves Arsenal's striking conundrum
- 10 Night-time fishing suspended at Vale of Health following 'antisocial behaviour'
And it was Palmer who helped seal the final result, showing outstanding pace from inside her own half to cross once again under the posts.
Fly-half Angela Chapado added her second conversion of the day to complete the win.
Hampstead play their final league game of the season on Sunday, March 19, when they entertain Old Albanian Ladies.