Hampstead earn first win of season
- Credit: Archant
Women’s Championship South East Two: Hampstead 42 Lewes 5
Hampstead earned their first victory of the Women’s Championship South East Two season with a 42-5 victory at home to Lewes.
The home team opened the scoring early by kicking a penalty, but the visitors hit back immediately with a try of their own from an opportunistic intercept.
Hampstead’s pressure soon told, with some excellent play from the forwards and scrum-half Rachel Berry resulting in several scores, while fullback Kelly Howard also charged over with a fine try.
Hampstead’s lineout was functioning well all game and provided a platform for the home side.
Lewes came back into the match just after half time with some strong carries and pressured Hampstead’s try line.
The hosts, though, held out and were able to score some more tries before the end of the game,
- 1 The most expensive homes sold in Haringey in November 2021
- 2 Air ambulance mobilised as boy, 15, knifed in South Hampstead
- 3 'We don't need to drink more coffee' say cafés as Joe & The Juice moves in
- 4 'We're proud of what we do': Kossoffs celebrates six months in Kentish Town
- 5 Cops swoop on cannabis farm rumoured to be 'largest ever' busted in Haringey
- 6 3,000 new council homes for Haringey over next ten years
- 7 Italian sandwich shop opens in a Hampstead telephone box
- 8 Fundraising year begins at William IV pub in Hampstead
- 9 The man who wants to put trains among the trees from Muswell Hill to Highgate
- 10 Landlord scales back 40% rent rise - but it is too late for some tenants
Anita Oliver consistently got Hampstead over the gain line and forward of the match Jen Richards bagged a brace of tries.