Hampstead women beaten in opener
- Credit: George Phillipou/TGS Photo
Women’s Championship South East Two: Hampstead 12 Hammersmith & Fulham 17
Hampstead started the Women’s Championship South East Two season with a narrow 17-12 loss at home to Hammersmith & Fulham.
The first try came from Hammersmith’s very solid scrum with a pick from their powerful number eight.
Following a period of pressure from both sides, Hammersmith capitalised on another good scrum to dot down a try in the corner.
The rest of the first half remained scoreless with some good phases from both sides.
Some quick-thinking from Hampstead stopped a certain try when a bouncing kick ended up in the goal area.
The second half saw an upturn in Hampstead fortunes with some excellent steals on the floor and some big hits.
- 1 Covid-19: Hospital admissions and bed occupancy continue to fall
- 2 Businesses hail return of Highgate's Fair in the Square
- 3 What is the rare 'monkeypox' being treated at the Royal Free?
- 4 Barnet: Two men charged following fatal High Road stabbing
- 5 TfL: Revamped Northern line latest addition to ever-improving network
- 6 Barnet: Three arrested as victim of fatal stabbing named
- 7 Warnings issued after four fox clubs found stuck in old car wheels
- 8 Fears over large nitrous oxide cannisters found in Gospel Oak
- 9 Go fish: Anglers complain of limited access to Heath ponds
- 10 Court: Disciplinary rules not followed in 'unfair' sacking, lawyer suggests
Hammersmith again capitalised to take their haul to 17 points, before Hampstead pulled back two tries.
Megan Griffiths made her way over the line, while Chrissi Ranke with fine score from halfway as Hampstead earned a losing bonus point.