Gower Allstars celebrate a stellar season after title triumph
- Credit: Archant
The UCS old boys first team, Gower Allstars, have won the Camden MA league Premier Division title by a record 10 points, securing their third championship in 10 years under manager Phil Glyn.
Having had a mid-table finish in 2013/14, the last campaign proved to be one of Gower’s most successful seasons, as they also reached three cup semi-finals.
Glyn puts the vast improvement down to having a well-balanced team, largely thanks to a successful recruitment dive in pre-season.
“The addition of three or four new players last summer filled the gaps in what was already a strong nucleus of players and made all the difference to the shape of our side – most notably our player of the season, centre-back James Dillon, and top goal scorer Jules Norton.
“This side is talented, mature and experienced and now has the ability to win plenty more silverware for a few more years to come.”
You may also want to watch:
Tufnell Park Rangers had won the title for the previous three years in a row, but Gower Allstars dismantled that dominance, winning 12 of their 14 games to finish 10 points ahead of their rivals, while scoring 55 goals.
Winning the crown was a fitting send-off for striker Owen Blandy, the captain for the season, who is retiring after 10 successful years playing for the club.
- 1 Cyclist dies after Crouch End car door crash, police appeal for witnesses
- 2 Man in hospital after stabbing in Crouch End
- 3 Builders finish first block in controversial Hornsey Town Hall development
- 4 Camden's £50k Covid-19 fall in house prices bucks north London trend
- 5 Amazon Fresh convenience store without tills opens in Chalk Farm
- 6 Covid-19 Delta variant cases rising in north London
- 7 Jimmy C obituary: Crouch End blues musician who 'brought so much love'
- 8 Parliament Hill Lido Café on 'heartwarming' business life in Hampstead Heath
- 9 Hampstead Heath memorial to the band of brothers who fought fascism
- 10 Friends and family remember 'marvellous' Cate Haste