Gower Allstars celebrate a stellar season after title triumph
- Credit: Archant
The UCS old boys first team, Gower Allstars, have won the Camden MA league Premier Division title by a record 10 points, securing their third championship in 10 years under manager Phil Glyn.
Having had a mid-table finish in 2013/14, the last campaign proved to be one of Gower’s most successful seasons, as they also reached three cup semi-finals.
Glyn puts the vast improvement down to having a well-balanced team, largely thanks to a successful recruitment dive in pre-season.
“The addition of three or four new players last summer filled the gaps in what was already a strong nucleus of players and made all the difference to the shape of our side – most notably our player of the season, centre-back James Dillon, and top goal scorer Jules Norton.
“This side is talented, mature and experienced and now has the ability to win plenty more silverware for a few more years to come.”
You may also want to watch:
Tufnell Park Rangers had won the title for the previous three years in a row, but Gower Allstars dismantled that dominance, winning 12 of their 14 games to finish 10 points ahead of their rivals, while scoring 55 goals.
Winning the crown was a fitting send-off for striker Owen Blandy, the captain for the season, who is retiring after 10 successful years playing for the club.
- 1 'Land grab': Muswell Hill Gail's accused of taking over pavement
- 2 Man killed in 'shooting' in north London
- 3 How did a double-decker bus crash straight into a Crouch End house?
- 4 Man killed and two injured in triple shooting
- 5 Appeal to find four children missing from north London with father and grandmother
- 6 Man jailed for rape of young girl in north London 40 years ago
- 7 Spot the '90s pop stars in the Never Mind the Buzzcocks identity parade
- 8 Explore 8 of north London's prettiest streets
- 9 Council denies liability for Church Row bollards car damage
- 10 UK's first no chicken nugget shop pops up in Camden Town