Gourlay inspires UCS Old Boys to bounce back and beat Cheshunt
- Credit: Archant
UCS Old Boys bounced back from their humbling against league leaders London Welsh Amateurs by coming from behind to secure a 19-15 home win over Cheshunt, earning a second victory from their opening three games in Herts/Middlesex Division One.
UCS had been beaten 49-0 in their previous outing and trailed 15-9 on Saturday, but fly-half Nick Gourlay – who kicked 14 points – set up a try for Lars Stephenson to put the hosts on top, before adding a penalty with the last kick of the match.
The hosts took an early lead, with Chris Pope and Stefan Filip forcing a turnover and a penalty, and Gourlay took the three points.
However, Cheshunt hit back with the opening try, securing a line-out deep in UCS territory and hitting their jumper to start a rolling maul, before moving the ball out wide to outnumber the defence and touch down in the corner.
The game ebbed and flowed, with Cheshunt having the edge in the line-out and UCS having the upper hand in the scrum.
You may also want to watch:
The visitors added two more tries but Gourlay notched two penalties to keep the home side in touch, 15-9 down with 20 minutes left – and, after a series of phases from the forwards, he chipped to the corner andStephenson touch downed.
Gourlay’s conversion put UCS 16-15 ahead and, although Cheshunt threw everything at them, the maroon line held firm and a last-minute turnover allowed Gourlay to finish the match with three more points.
- 1 'Big elephant's backside': David Hare and Nicole Farhi slam house plans
- 2 Armed police search Tube at Finchley Road and find 'imitation' gun
- 3 Buyers launch legal action after £75k bill for flammable cladding
- 4 Teenage girls charged with Hampstead robberies
- 5 Mary Feilding Guild: New Highgate owner claims 'widespread Legionella'
- 6 'He was mesmerising': Barney Hoskyns on Prince, five years on
- 7 HIV 'progress is stalling' says Royal Free doctor who consulted on It's A Sin
- 8 Camden Council seeks to honour Covid-19 pandemic heroes
- 9 Boy George and Bananarama join Kenwood 2021 concert line up
- 10 Arguments over Heath impact of homes in Jack Straw's Castle car park