Golf: Hampstead miss out on Pearson Cup glory despite hole-in-one from Julia Male
- Credit: Archant
Women’s team beaten by eventual champions in semi-finals
Julia Male hit a hole-in-one for Hampstead GC in the Inter-Counties Finals of the Pearson Cup, but it could not prevent her team from going out in the semis.
The Pearson Cup is features 159 clubs from Middlesex, Surrey, Kent and Hertfordshire, with over 2,000 matches played.
Hampstead had earned the right to represent Middlesex earlier this month having won through from the county finals, and were joined by the respective club champions from Surrey, Kent and Hertfordhsire.
In the semi-finals, Hampstead were drawn against Kent champions Redlibbets in what was expected to be a close-fought fixture.
The game with Redlibbets was taken to a decider, with both teams winning three of the first six matches.
Male was perhaps the most spectacular winner, hitting an ace on the 14th to triumph 6&4 in her tie.
- 1 Covid-19: Hospital admissions and bed occupancy continue to fall
- 2 Businesses hail return of Highgate's Fair in the Square
- 3 What is the rare 'monkeypox' being treated at the Royal Free?
- 4 Barnet: Two men charged following fatal High Road stabbing
- 5 TfL: Revamped Northern line latest addition to ever-improving network
- 6 Barnet: Three arrested as victim of fatal stabbing named
- 7 Warnings issued after four fox clubs found stuck in old car wheels
- 8 Fears over large nitrous oxide cannisters found in Gospel Oak
- 9 Go fish: Anglers complain of limited access to Heath ponds
- 10 Court: Disciplinary rules not followed in 'unfair' sacking, lawyer suggests
However, in the decider, Hampstead were beaten on the 17th green, with Redlibbets going on to win the tournament.