Glory for Primose Hill’s Gazelles in cricket competition at Canary Wharf
- Credit: Archant
Primrose Hill Cricket Club’s girls have started 2014 with a bang after an Over-13s side won an invitational indoor event at the Play on Sports facility at Canary Wharf.
Organised by a volunteer from Middlesex CCC, the competition involved girls teams from north and north-west London.
Primrose Hill, whose girls are called the ‘Gazelles’, sent two eight-a-side teams to compete in the Over-13 and Under-13 tournaments.
The format included some new innovations – the batsmen only had to run halfway down the wicket, while points were awarded for hitting the walls and ceiling – and the Gazelles’ Over-13s won all three of their matches to take the crown.
A comprehensive 85-9 victory over Wembley was followed by a similarly emphatic 80-9 triumph over Old Actonians.
You may also want to watch:
That set up a decider against Ealing – last year’s London Youth Games champions, who had also won their first two fixtures – and Primrose Hill won by just two runs in a thrilling 49-47 success.
There was a special accolade for Antonia Welch, who got the medal for the best individual figures, while captain Maia Bouchier and team-mate Georgina Seals were close behind in second and third place respectively.
- 1 'Land grab': Muswell Hill Gail's accused of taking over pavement
- 2 Man killed and two injured in triple shooting
- 3 Man killed in 'shooting' in north London
- 4 How did a double-decker bus crash straight into a Crouch End house?
- 5 Council denies liability for Church Row bollards car damage
- 6 UK's first no chicken nugget shop pops up in Camden Town
- 7 Appeal to find four children missing from north London with father and grandmother
- 8 Nursery to open in former Highgate Barclays building
- 9 Explore 8 of north London's prettiest streets
- 10 Spot the '90s pop stars in the Never Mind the Buzzcocks identity parade
The Primrose Hill team also included Millie Clarke, who is currently bidding to earn a place in Middlesex CCC’s girls section.
The Gazelles currently practise at the indoor nets at Lord’s. If you are interested in joining the club, visit the website www.primrose-hillcc.org