Glory for Primose Hill’s Gazelles in cricket competition at Canary Wharf
- Credit: Archant
Primrose Hill Cricket Club’s girls have started 2014 with a bang after an Over-13s side won an invitational indoor event at the Play on Sports facility at Canary Wharf.
Organised by a volunteer from Middlesex CCC, the competition involved girls teams from north and north-west London.
Primrose Hill, whose girls are called the ‘Gazelles’, sent two eight-a-side teams to compete in the Over-13 and Under-13 tournaments.
The format included some new innovations – the batsmen only had to run halfway down the wicket, while points were awarded for hitting the walls and ceiling – and the Gazelles’ Over-13s won all three of their matches to take the crown.
A comprehensive 85-9 victory over Wembley was followed by a similarly emphatic 80-9 triumph over Old Actonians.
You may also want to watch:
That set up a decider against Ealing – last year’s London Youth Games champions, who had also won their first two fixtures – and Primrose Hill won by just two runs in a thrilling 49-47 success.
There was a special accolade for Antonia Welch, who got the medal for the best individual figures, while captain Maia Bouchier and team-mate Georgina Seals were close behind in second and third place respectively.
- 1 Burger King launches its first 'dark kitchen' for north London deliveries
- 2 Arrests made after reports of antisemitic abuse in St John's Wood
- 3 Residents bid farewell to Highgate Station’s beloved black cat
- 4 The Magdala returns as pubs and restaurants reopen indoors on May 17
- 5 Indian variant of Covid-19 - what's the situation in London?
- 6 Barnet councillor leaves Tory group over 'personal matter'
- 7 Zookeeper's sponsored swim as London Zoo reopens indoor areas
- 8 Lane closure scrapped after high pollution readings double
- 9 Haringey Council leader ousted by rival in Labour group vote
- 10 Singing in a choir can 'change the world and boost mental health'
The Primrose Hill team also included Millie Clarke, who is currently bidding to earn a place in Middlesex CCC’s girls section.
The Gazelles currently practise at the indoor nets at Lord’s. If you are interested in joining the club, visit the website www.primrose-hillcc.org