Glory for Primose Hill’s Gazelles in cricket competition at Canary Wharf
- Credit: Archant
Primrose Hill Cricket Club’s girls have started 2014 with a bang after an Over-13s side won an invitational indoor event at the Play on Sports facility at Canary Wharf.
Organised by a volunteer from Middlesex CCC, the competition involved girls teams from north and north-west London.
Primrose Hill, whose girls are called the ‘Gazelles’, sent two eight-a-side teams to compete in the Over-13 and Under-13 tournaments.
The format included some new innovations – the batsmen only had to run halfway down the wicket, while points were awarded for hitting the walls and ceiling – and the Gazelles’ Over-13s won all three of their matches to take the crown.
A comprehensive 85-9 victory over Wembley was followed by a similarly emphatic 80-9 triumph over Old Actonians.
That set up a decider against Ealing – last year’s London Youth Games champions, who had also won their first two fixtures – and Primrose Hill won by just two runs in a thrilling 49-47 success.
There was a special accolade for Antonia Welch, who got the medal for the best individual figures, while captain Maia Bouchier and team-mate Georgina Seals were close behind in second and third place respectively.
- 1 Alexandra Palace: 2 hospitalised in Red Bull's Soapbox Race
- 2 I want to philately! Freddie Mercury’s stamp collection goes on display
- 3 Five classic Rolling Stones moments at BST Hyde Park
- 4 In pictures: Wacky racers descend on Alexandra Palace for soapbox challenge
- 5 Bentley Motor blue plaque in North London 'prized off wall and stolen'
- 6 Camden watchmaker launches crowdfunding campaign
- 7 The Rolling Stones prove rock ‘n’ roll is alive and kicking at Hyde Park
- 8 Start-up delivers home cooked meals to your door
- 9 Opening date confirmed for new Finchley Road Aldi
- 10 Fences and padlocks at Primrose Hill once again
The Primrose Hill team also included Millie Clarke, who is currently bidding to earn a place in Middlesex CCC’s girls section.
The Gazelles currently practise at the indoor nets at Lord’s. If you are interested in joining the club, visit the website www.primrose-hillcc.org