Globe's Alex fails when it comes to the Davis Cup crunch
GLOBE S Alex Bogdanovic was thrust into the Davis Cup spotlight on Sunday when he played the decisive fifth rubber for Great Britain against Austria s Alex Peya at Wimbledon, writes Simon Jackson. But Bogdanovic failed to build on a solid start that saw h
GLOBE'S Alex Bogdanovic was thrust into the Davis Cup spotlight on Sunday when he played the decisive fifth rubber for Great Britain against Austria's Alex Peya at Wimbledon, writes Simon Jackson.
But Bogdanovic failed to build on a solid start that saw him comfortably win the first set before crashing to a 2-6, 6-4, 6-4, 6-2 defeat.
"I'm very disappointed," said British captain John Lloyd. "I thought we were marginal favourites on grass but it didn't work out that way.
"You are judged by your results. Alex was eager to play today but came up against a tough opponent and was unable to come through. Playing the fifth rubber of a Davis Cup tie is always tough."
Bogdanovich has yet to win a meaningful Davis Cup rubber and on Friday crashed to another four set defeat, this time against Austria's No.1 Jurgen Melzer in the opening rubber.
The 24-year-old had begun well against Melzer, clinching the opening set 6-3, but the Austrian fought back to take the next three 7-6, 6-2, 6-1.
- 1 'Unimaginable loss': Father and daughter stabbed to death in north London
- 2 Covid-19: Omicron cases confirmed in Haringey and Barnet
- 3 George Michael estate helps fund Highgate Christmas lights
- 4 'Unacceptable': Highgate fears over TfL bus changes
- 5 Covid-19: Omicron variant case confirmed in Camden
- 6 Camden Market has major makeover with new cinema, shops and food stalls
- 7 Masked-up Boris Johnson poses for selfies at Wood Green care centre
- 8 Barnet chemist named independent pharmacy of the year
- 9 Hampstead Heath to host first Christmas Fayre
- 10 Haringey first council to call for Edmonton incinerator pause
"He's [Bogdanovich] has got to get physically stronger," said Lloyd. "Mentally he will be a late bloomer but he hit the ball well this week.