Hockey: Great Britain 0 Argentina 1
- Credit: Archant
Great Britain’s women were narrowly beaten by Argentina in their final round-robin match at the FIH Champions Trophy in China.
Victoria Sauze grabbed the game’s only goal after just two minutes and this proved to be enough for Argentina to claim the win and book a place in the bronze medal match.
Argentina took the lead after winning a penalty corner as the original effort was blocked by the GB defence but the rebound found to Sauze who slapped the ball into the bottom corner.
The best chance of the second quarter fell to GB and Sarah Jones, who beat two defenders before smashing a volley towards the top corner, but saw Belen Succi make an incredible diving save to stop the effort and ensure Argentina entered the half-time break on top.
GB, who included Hampstead & Westminster’s Sarah Robertson, raised their game after the break and began to dominate possession but couldn’t find a way through the Argentinean defence as the sides entered the final 15 minutes.
In a last attempt to get back into the game GB elected for a kicking back but despite the pressure they couldn’t grab a goal and Argentina took all three points.
GB will now face Japan in the fifth-place play-off match at 6am on Sunday, live on BT Sport.
- 1 CCTV footage released as family pay tribute to 'loving son' Olsi
- 2 First Muslim lord mayor of Westminster announced
- 3 Man arrested following stabbing on Royal College Street
- 4 Highgate woman pledges £1million for children's autism charity
- 5 Floating park between Camden Town and King's Cross
- 6 Toff's of Muswell Hill celebrates Fish and Chips Day with 50 free glasses of fizz
- 7 Community joy as Murphy's Yard application withdrawn
- 8 Five bedrooms, utterly charming and in Muswell Hill
- 9 'I'm sorry people had to wait 30 years,' former minister tells Infected Blood Inquiry
- 10 Duke's Head noise complaints committee hearing
GB: Sabbie Heesh, Laura Unsworth, Sarah Evans, Anna Toman, Susannah Townsend, Erica Sanders, Giselle Ansley, Sophie Bray, Hollie Pearne-Webb, Lily Owsley, Grace Balsdon. Subs: Amy Tennant, Hannah Martin, Sarah Robertson, Suzy Petty, Tessa Howard, Sarah Jones, Amy Costello.