Hockey: Great Britain 0 Argentina 1
- Credit: Archant
Great Britain’s women were narrowly beaten by Argentina in their final round-robin match at the FIH Champions Trophy in China.
Victoria Sauze grabbed the game’s only goal after just two minutes and this proved to be enough for Argentina to claim the win and book a place in the bronze medal match.
Argentina took the lead after winning a penalty corner as the original effort was blocked by the GB defence but the rebound found to Sauze who slapped the ball into the bottom corner.
The best chance of the second quarter fell to GB and Sarah Jones, who beat two defenders before smashing a volley towards the top corner, but saw Belen Succi make an incredible diving save to stop the effort and ensure Argentina entered the half-time break on top.
GB, who included Hampstead & Westminster’s Sarah Robertson, raised their game after the break and began to dominate possession but couldn’t find a way through the Argentinean defence as the sides entered the final 15 minutes.
You may also want to watch:
In a last attempt to get back into the game GB elected for a kicking back but despite the pressure they couldn’t grab a goal and Argentina took all three points.
GB will now face Japan in the fifth-place play-off match at 6am on Sunday, live on BT Sport.
- 1 Crouch End Festival Chorus: Alexandra Palace Theatre
- 2 Vehicles scraped and traffic chaos after width-restriction bollards moved
- 3 5 great places in north London to get away from the summer crowds
- 4 Haringey Council launches investigation into land deal with rapper
- 5 £5,000 of crack cocaine and heroin found in Hampstead home
- 6 Nancy Jirira wins Fortune Green by-election, holding on to Lib Dem council seat
- 7 'Cash cows': Leaseholders fight for clarity and better value over 'huge bills'
- 8 Highgate School staff must undergo 'anti-sexism training' over summer
- 9 'Like the Fleet's resurfaced': Flash flooding hits Hampstead and Highgate
- 10 Probe into £23m property deal is like 'a vendetta', says ex-deputy leader
GB: Sabbie Heesh, Laura Unsworth, Sarah Evans, Anna Toman, Susannah Townsend, Erica Sanders, Giselle Ansley, Sophie Bray, Hollie Pearne-Webb, Lily Owsley, Grace Balsdon. Subs: Amy Tennant, Hannah Martin, Sarah Robertson, Suzy Petty, Tessa Howard, Sarah Jones, Amy Costello.