Hockey: GB women beaten by Australia
- Credit: Archant
Great Britain’s women were defeated 2-0 by Australia in their second match at the FIH Women’s Champions Trophy in China.
Having twice come from behind to draw 2-2 with hosts China in their first match, thanks to goals from Hannah Martin and Lily Owsley, GB conceded first-half goals to Brooke Peris and Kalindi Commerford as Australia took control.
Australia moved into the lead on nine minutes through Peris after goalkeeper Amy Tennant cleared the ball wide to Greta Hayes who hit a cross to Peris on the back post where she deflected the ball high into the corner.
Great Britain improved in the second quarter, dominating possession and putting pressure on the Australia back line, but they conceded again on the stroke of half-time.
Commerford collected the ball at the top of the circle, moving past her marker and slapping into the bottom corner.
You may also want to watch:
There was plenty of attacking intent from GB in the second half but Australia defended well restricting the likes of Martin and Hampstead & Westminster’s Sarah Robertson to half chances while Rachael Lynch was in solid form in goal.
Next up for Great Britain are Japan on Tuesday morning (10am) as they look to clinch their first win of the tournament.
- 1 Northern Line tube 'assault': CCTV images released of two women
- 2 Golders Green Hippodrome sold as Islamic centre plan abandoned
- 3 'From Archway to Selfridges… The Toy Project'
- 4 Lockdown landscape artist changes job to paint full time
- 5 Hundreds gather on Primrose Hill to mourn Nicole Hurley
- 6 Best friends: Meet the man and his cat exploring London on a bike
- 7 Hampstead Miss Universe GB finalist champions mixed-heritage representation
- 8 Primrose Hill candlelight vigil to celebrate life of Nicole Hurley
- 9 Top spooky Halloween events in Hampstead and Highgate
- 10 'Let's save The Victoria pub in Highgate'
GB: Tennant, Unsworth, Evans, Martin, Townsend, Ansley, Bray, Pearne-Webb, Owsley, Costello. Subs: Robertson, Petty, Sanders, Howard, Jones, Heesh, Balsdon.