England boss Gareth Southgate hails Spurs striker Harry Kane as ‘best goalscorer in the world’
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
England boss Gareth Southgate has hailed Harry Kane after the Spurs forward grabbed a late winner to send the impressive Three Lions through to the UEFA Nations League finals.
Kane’s 85th minute winner sent Wembley into raptures as Southgate’s England overturned a 1-0 deficit against all the odds to beat Croatia 2-1 and qualify for the semi-finals of the tournament to be held in Portugal next summer.
In a wonderful attacking game of football a 78th minute goal from substitute Jesse Lingard levelled a 57th minute opener from Hoffenheim’s attacking midfielder Andrej Kramaric.
Spurs forward Kane then slotted home from close range to put the home side ahead to prompt wild scenes of celebration at the national stadium.
Speaking after the match the dignified Southgate said of Kane: “Harry [is] the best goalscorer in the world.
You may also want to watch:
“I think the standards that the players set every day – you can only have that consistency if you work every day. There’s a real desire and hunger within the group to keep improving.
“I’m hugely proud of all of the players and staff. We’ve improved together. [There was] pressure but they coped with it so well...they showed character and resilience. Most pleasing is connection with fans. I’ve not heard Wembley like that for years.”
- 1 Teenager dies after stabbing in Archway
- 2 Man detained after series of attacks on women in Hampstead
- 3 Ole & Steen bakery set to open in Hampstead's former Café Rouge
- 4 The snow is beautiful and fun - but during Covid we must stick to the rules
- 5 Royal Free calls in the army as 'unprecedented' demand continues
- 6 Pictures: Fun for families as the snow arrives on Hampstead Heath
- 7 Arsenal boss Mikel Arteta expecting another tough game against Southampton
- 8 South Hampstead neighbours mourn tree felled by Storm Christoph
- 9 Crouch End's 'Paul the Paper' bids farewell to Broadway stall
- 10 Women attacked by wrench-wielding man in Hampstead
Follow Layth on Twitter @laythy29