England boss Gareth Southgate hails Spurs striker Harry Kane as ‘best goalscorer in the world’
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
England boss Gareth Southgate has hailed Harry Kane after the Spurs forward grabbed a late winner to send the impressive Three Lions through to the UEFA Nations League finals.
Kane’s 85th minute winner sent Wembley into raptures as Southgate’s England overturned a 1-0 deficit against all the odds to beat Croatia 2-1 and qualify for the semi-finals of the tournament to be held in Portugal next summer.
In a wonderful attacking game of football a 78th minute goal from substitute Jesse Lingard levelled a 57th minute opener from Hoffenheim’s attacking midfielder Andrej Kramaric.
Spurs forward Kane then slotted home from close range to put the home side ahead to prompt wild scenes of celebration at the national stadium.
Speaking after the match the dignified Southgate said of Kane: “Harry [is] the best goalscorer in the world.
“I think the standards that the players set every day – you can only have that consistency if you work every day. There’s a real desire and hunger within the group to keep improving.
“I’m hugely proud of all of the players and staff. We’ve improved together. [There was] pressure but they coped with it so well...they showed character and resilience. Most pleasing is connection with fans. I’ve not heard Wembley like that for years.”
- 1 Mum's Balenciaga handbag 'mistakenly' sold by RSPCA charity shop
- 2 Boy, 15, rushed to hospital after stabbing in Harringay Sainsbury's carpark
- 3 Maida Vale victims named as alleged suspect released on bail
- 4 Highgate School to overhaul safeguarding after sexual abuse review
- 5 Crouch End pub calls for dialogue over noise complaints
- 6 Highgate School abuse: Staff had to 'shake themselves out of complacency'
- 7 Man allegedly 'shouted racist abuse' in Waterlow Park
- 8 NLWA signs contract for ‘significant’ Edmonton Incinerator project
- 9 Man arrested after car overturns on Camden Road
- 10 Seven Sisters stabbing: Three jailed over Green Lanes gang killing
Follow Layth on Twitter @laythy29