England boss Gareth Southgate hails Spurs striker Harry Kane as ‘best goalscorer in the world’
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
England boss Gareth Southgate has hailed Harry Kane after the Spurs forward grabbed a late winner to send the impressive Three Lions through to the UEFA Nations League finals.
Kane’s 85th minute winner sent Wembley into raptures as Southgate’s England overturned a 1-0 deficit against all the odds to beat Croatia 2-1 and qualify for the semi-finals of the tournament to be held in Portugal next summer.
In a wonderful attacking game of football a 78th minute goal from substitute Jesse Lingard levelled a 57th minute opener from Hoffenheim’s attacking midfielder Andrej Kramaric.
Spurs forward Kane then slotted home from close range to put the home side ahead to prompt wild scenes of celebration at the national stadium.
Speaking after the match the dignified Southgate said of Kane: “Harry [is] the best goalscorer in the world.
“I think the standards that the players set every day – you can only have that consistency if you work every day. There’s a real desire and hunger within the group to keep improving.
“I’m hugely proud of all of the players and staff. We’ve improved together. [There was] pressure but they coped with it so well...they showed character and resilience. Most pleasing is connection with fans. I’ve not heard Wembley like that for years.”
- 1 Police probe reports of shooting at scene of crash in West Hampstead
- 2 'Gabriels stun Koko – superstardom seems inevitable'
- 3 Three north London men charged after boxer Amir Khan ‘robbed at gunpoint’
- 4 St John's Wood prep school downgraded to 'requires improvement'
- 5 Police search for witness who helped rape victim
- 6 Primrose Hill gates could close again due to antisocial behaviour
- 7 New toilets and changing rooms in Hampstead ponds £700,000 revamp
- 8 TfL worker launches petition to reinstate Finsbury Park to Edgware railway
- 9 Opening date confirmed for new Finchley Road Aldi
- 10 Jailed: 10 north London offenders put behind bars in May
Follow Layth on Twitter @laythy29