Freddy Moncur feels Wingate & Finchley is the ‘perfect fit’ after returning from Leyton Orient on loan

Wingate & Finchley's Freddy Moncur scores his second goal at Worthing on Saturday. Pic Martin Addiso

Wingate & Finchley's Freddy Moncur scores his second goal at Worthing on Saturday. Pic Martin Addison - Credit: Archant

Freddy Moncur is pleased to have rejoined Wingate & Finchley on loan from Leyton Orient, describing the move as the “perfect fit” after scoring twice in Saturday’s impressive victory at Worthing.

The 20-year-old Os midfielder switched to the Blues in February last season but was promptly injured. Now he is back at the Maurice Rebak Stadium – and he was a key figure as the Blues triumphed with 10 men at the weekend.

Ola Williams put Wingate ahead in the sixth minute with a deflected strike and, although Omar Bugiel levelled, John Mbamarah restored the lead in the 56th minute with a towering header.

The Blues suffered a major setback just three minutes later as Sean Cronin was sent off – but Keith Rowland’s side held onto their advantage, and Moncur struck twice in the final seven minutes.

“It was unbelievable. To go down to 10 men and be 2-1 up, you think maybe we’ll do well to hang on for a point. Then to go and get all three, it’s amazing really,” said Moncur.

“Last year I came here, played two games and thoroughly enjoyed it but was unfortunate to get an ankle injury that put me out for a long time.

“But now I’m back and I can’t wait for the next game. It will be good for me to get some men’s football and Wingate play in a nice attacking way that suits me. I know the manager and it’s generally the perfect fit.”

Most Read

Mbamarah, who scored his first goal for the Blues, said: “When we went down to 10 men we played quite solidly. For a while it was scary, but the team came through together, defending solidly, grinding it out and we got the result.

“To be honest I don’t remember [my goal]. Everyone kept coming up to me saying it was a good goal, calling me a flying salmon and all that. People were saying I was jumping higher when I was celebrating than when I scored the goal!”

Wingate went on to beat Harrow Borough 8-7 on penalties in the first round of the League Cup on Tuesday, following a 4-4 draw in normal time.

Cronin opened the scoring and Billy Healey then struck twice before Tommy Tejan-Sie’s equaliser took the game to penalties, and both sides converted seven spot-kicks in a row before Borough’s Francis Babalola hit the crossbar.

Wingate host Tonbridge Angels in the second qualifying round of the FA Cup this Saturday (kick-off 3pm).

Meanwhile, Hendon picked up their second league victory of the season on Saturday as they won 2-1 at Metropolitan Police.

Finbarr Robins broke the deadlock early on with a penalty and, although Rob Bartley equalised after the break, Niko Muir hit the winner.

Muir was on target against the same team three days later in a home League Cup tie, along with Ollie Sprague – but the visitors scored two goals of their own and won the shoot-out 4-3. Gary McCann’s Greens visit Dulwich Hamlet in the FA Cup on Saturday (kick-off 3pm).

Elsewhere, Haringey Borough have suffered two defeats in the past week, going down 2-1 at home against Thurrock in Ryman League Division One North on Saturday and then losing 4-1 at AFC Hornchurch on Tuesday in their League Cup tie.

However, Haringey’s women maintained their perfect start to their league campaign with a fourth consecutive victory, beating Great Wakering Rovers 3-1 at Coles Park.

Borough host Chelmsford City in the Women’s FA Cup on Sunday (kick-off 3pm).