Former Tottenham legend Gazza detained under Mental Health Act
Former Spurs and England legend Paul Gascoigne has been detained under the Mental Health Act, according to reports. In the early hours of Wednesday morning Gazza had been asked to leave the plush Malmaison Hotel in Newcastle City Centre and police say t
Former Spurs and England legend Paul Gascoigne has been detained under the Mental Health Act, according to reports.
In the early hours of Wednesday morning 'Gazza' had been asked to leave the plush Malmaison Hotel in Newcastle City Centre and police say that at another hotel in nearby Gateshead later that same day, the detained a 40-year-old man after concerns were raised about his behaviour.
Northumbria Police confirmed that the man had subsequently been detained under the Mental Health Act.
Gazza, who played for Newcastle, Lazio, Glasgow Rangers and Middlesbrough as well as Tottenham, was also capped 57 times for England during a brilliant but eratic career.
His stunning goals against Arsenal in an FA Cup Final are among the most-watched football items on UTube, and he is still regarded by many as one of the greatest players ever to have played in a Tottenham shirt.
But in recent years he has suffered from alcohol-related marriage problems and has also had serious health problems.
- 1 'We're proud of what we do': Kossoffs celebrates six months in Kentish Town
- 2 The most expensive homes sold in Haringey in November 2021
- 3 Italian sandwich shop opens in a Hampstead telephone box
- 4 Ex-manager admits defrauding Paddington Sports Club
- 5 'We don't need to drink more coffee' say cafés as Joe & The Juice moves in
- 6 Air ambulance mobilised as boy, 15, knifed in South Hampstead
- 7 'The joy of addiction is when you are free of it,' says Hampstead author
- 8 Cops swoop on cannabis farm rumoured to be 'largest ever' busted in Haringey
- 9 Sexual offence reports at record levels in Camden, Haringey and Barnet
- 10 Fundraising year begins at William IV pub in Hampstead