Former Tottenham legend Gazza detained under Mental Health Act
Former Spurs and England legend Paul Gascoigne has been detained under the Mental Health Act, according to reports. In the early hours of Wednesday morning Gazza had been asked to leave the plush Malmaison Hotel in Newcastle City Centre and police say t
Former Spurs and England legend Paul Gascoigne has been detained under the Mental Health Act, according to reports.
In the early hours of Wednesday morning 'Gazza' had been asked to leave the plush Malmaison Hotel in Newcastle City Centre and police say that at another hotel in nearby Gateshead later that same day, the detained a 40-year-old man after concerns were raised about his behaviour.
Northumbria Police confirmed that the man had subsequently been detained under the Mental Health Act.
Gazza, who played for Newcastle, Lazio, Glasgow Rangers and Middlesbrough as well as Tottenham, was also capped 57 times for England during a brilliant but eratic career.
You may also want to watch:
His stunning goals against Arsenal in an FA Cup Final are among the most-watched football items on UTube, and he is still regarded by many as one of the greatest players ever to have played in a Tottenham shirt.
But in recent years he has suffered from alcohol-related marriage problems and has also had serious health problems.
- 1 Tottenham squad is slowly taking shape but uncertainty remains
- 2 Spoiler: Cycling up Haverstock Hill is hard work
- 3 North London floods return – with South End Green deluged again
- 4 Thames Water 'sorry' after Finchley Road diversion sees cars damaged
- 5 Arsenal complete signing of Norweigan midfielder Frida Maanum
- 6 Piers Plowright obituary: BBC and Hampstead star dies at 83
- 7 'Body blow': Crouch End NatWest bank to close
- 8 Ken Clarke's anger at 'pointless' Infected Blood Inquiry questions
- 9 Source Bulk Foods health store opens in Crouch End
- 10 'The council thought asking your view is unnecessary'