Former Finchley amateur Courtenay ready for pro debut
- Credit: Archant
The latest boxing news from Camden and Haringey
Former Islington amateur Shannon Courtenay will make her professional debut on a Matchroom show at the Copper Box Arena on Saturday.
Known as the ‘Baby Face Assassin’, Courtenay enjoyed a glittering amateur career that saw her win a gold medal at the Haringey Box Cup in 2015.
Now, though, Courtenay has made the decision to join the paid ranks and join an ever-growing list of female British professional boxers.
Courtenay is due to make her professional debut on a busy Matchroom show headlined by Charlie Edwards’ defence of his WBC world flyweight title against Spain’s Angel Moreno.
You may also want to watch:
In signing with Matchroom, Courtenay has joined a stable that already has one world female champion in the form of Katie Taylor, who holds the IBF, WBA and WBO world lightweight titles.
That is the kind of success Courtenay would certainly love to achieve herself, but all eyes are firmly focussed on winning her pro debut in Stratford this weekend.
- 1 Highgate School staff must undergo 'anti-sexism training' over summer
- 2 'Like the Fleet's resurfaced': Flash flooding hits Hampstead and Highgate
- 3 Vehicles scraped and traffic chaos after width-restriction bollards moved
- 4 Crouch End Festival Chorus: Alexandra Palace Theatre
- 5 Probe into £23m property deal is like 'a vendetta', says ex-deputy leader
- 6 5 great places in north London to get away from the summer crowds
- 7 £5,000 of crack cocaine and heroin found in Hampstead home
- 8 Haringey Council launches investigation into land deal with rapper
- 9 Nancy Jirira wins Fortune Green by-election, holding on to Lib Dem council seat
- 10 'Cash cows': Leaseholders fight for clarity and better value over 'huge bills'