Former Finchley amateur Courtenay ready for pro debut
- Credit: Archant
The latest boxing news from Camden and Haringey
Former Islington amateur Shannon Courtenay will make her professional debut on a Matchroom show at the Copper Box Arena on Saturday.
Known as the ‘Baby Face Assassin’, Courtenay enjoyed a glittering amateur career that saw her win a gold medal at the Haringey Box Cup in 2015.
Now, though, Courtenay has made the decision to join the paid ranks and join an ever-growing list of female British professional boxers.
Courtenay is due to make her professional debut on a busy Matchroom show headlined by Charlie Edwards’ defence of his WBC world flyweight title against Spain’s Angel Moreno.
You may also want to watch:
In signing with Matchroom, Courtenay has joined a stable that already has one world female champion in the form of Katie Taylor, who holds the IBF, WBA and WBO world lightweight titles.
That is the kind of success Courtenay would certainly love to achieve herself, but all eyes are firmly focussed on winning her pro debut in Stratford this weekend.
- 1 Is lockdown working in north London? Here's what the latest data tells us
- 2 Joan Bakewell fires legal threat to government over second Covid jab
- 3 Royal Free's critical care beds 98pc full as Covid-19 cases top 500
- 4 O2 Centre: developer Landsec 'looking to re-provide' Sainsbury's
- 5 Hospital staff describe 'distressing' battle against rising Covid cases
- 6 Camden man charged with prostitution offences and sexual exploitation
- 7 Lord's Cricket Ground used as Covid-19 vaccination centre
- 8 Royal Mail delays in Hornsey 'could see Covid-19 vaccination letters missed'
- 9 Billy Vunipola fails to impress as Saracens lose to Ealing
- 10 One in ten people without symptoms Covid positive at Haringey centres