Isthmian League: Folkestone Invicta 0 Wingate & Finchley 1
- Credit: Archant
Wingate & Finchley upset high-flying hosts Folkestone to climb out of the Isthmian League Premier Division relegation zone on Saturday.
Spencer Knight's improving side made it 10 points from a possible 12 as to a second-half goal from Jayden Antwi silenced the majority in a crowd of 554.
Jerson Dos Santos had an early effort ruled out for offside for the home side before Charlie Ruff had penalty claimed waved away for Blues.
Luke Ifil forced Tim Roberts to tip his shot wide midway through the half and Tyler Sterling curled just wide of the post, with Shane Gore scrambling across his line on 27 minutes, but Ruff then fired a 25-yard free-kick just past the post eight minuets later.
Gore was quickly off his line to block Ira Jackson's effort, after a crossfield pass found him in space, and Wingate's Great Evans saw a shot on the turn float just over the crossbar on the stroke of half time.
You may also want to watch:
The second half was nine minutes old when Antwi saw his effort loop up and over Roberts following a goalmouth scramble and Kane Farrell fired just over from distance soon after.
Jackson curled a free-kick just wide midway through the half, then rolled the ball past Gore only to see Ahmet Rifat clear off the line on 70 minutes.
- 1 How Agatha Christie spent the war in Hampstead
- 2 The Magdala returns as pubs and restaurants reopen indoors on May 17
- 3 Burger King launches its first 'dark kitchen' for north London deliveries
- 4 Bailed: Men arrested in connection with antisemitic abuse in St John's Wood
- 5 Teenage girls banned from Camden after Hampstead robbery spree
- 6 'No one cares': Mother claims 'horrible' leaks and mould left ignored
- 7 Hampstead man 'scammed out of £700' by DPD worker
- 8 Residents bid farewell to Highgate Station’s beloved black cat
- 9 Barnet councillor leaves Tory group over 'personal matter'
- 10 Huge summer window awaits Daniel Levy at Tottenham Hotspur
Gore saved from Sterling's audacious free-kick, then saw another Jackson set-piece bend just wide of the post two minutes from time as Wingate held on for a memorable win that saw them climb to 19th.
Wingate: Gore, Dole, Farrell, Rifat, Eales (Bancroft 73), Platt, Ifil, Tejan-Sie, Evans, Ruff (Sayoud 84), Antwi (Jellis 67).
Unused subs: Kennedy, Woods-Garness.