FA Trophy: Haringey Borough 3 Whyteleafe 0
- Credit: Archant
Haringey Borough eased into the next round of the FA Trophy with a comfortable win over Bostik South Whyteleafe at Coles Park.
Borough went into the preliminary round tie on the back of a midweek Bostik North win at Barking and with boss Tom Loizou having taken the manager of the month award for September, with Valery Pajetat the goalkeeper of the month.
But they had to wait until seven minutes before half time to break the deadlock through Ruaridh Kay, in front of a Non League Day crowd of 175.
Whyteleafe’s Ross Elsom had fired the first chance wide, while Ralston Gabriel was off target for the home side.
But Borough opened the scoring when Anthony McDonald’s shot was turned behind for a corner and he swung the ball over and saw Kay pounce when the visiting keeper flapped at it.
The visitors went close to a reply before the break when Olumide Oluwatimilehio forced Pajetat into a smart save at the expense of a corner, but McDonald hit the crossbar from a free-kick at the other end.
A second goal arrived just six minutes after the restart, as Lauren Luke netted from close range after another strong run and cross from the lively McDonald.
- 1 Barnet: Three arrested as victim of fatal stabbing named
- 2 Covid-19: Hospital admissions and bed occupancy continue to fall
- 3 St John's Wood nursery 'requires improvement' after surprise Ofsted visit
- 4 Man in his 30s stabbed to death
- 5 Court: Disciplinary rules not followed in 'unfair' sacking, lawyer suggests
- 6 Barnet: Two men charged following fatal High Road stabbing
- 7 Motorcyclist injured in Highgate Hill collision
- 8 Hampstead woman tells tribunal of alleged racist discrimination
- 9 Spurs survive 'Lasagna-gate 2' and it's over to Arsenal
- 10 Missing pet rabbit found by chance tip by stranger 'lucky to be alive'
And substitute Chris Benjamin completed the scoring within a minute of replacing Jamie O’Donoghue late on, slotting home from Joseph Benjamin’s pass to earn a trip to Harrow Borough in the next round.
As well as earning the club £3,000 in prize money, the victory extended Borough’s unbeaten run to 11 matches, since their Velocity Trophy loss to Wingate & Finchley in late August.
And they will now prepare for their big FA Cup fourth qualifying round tie with league rivals Heybridge Swifts next weekend.
It is the first time in the club’s history that they have reached that stage of the famous competition and as well as chasing another £12,500 in prize money they will be bidding to join Football League clubs in the draw for the first round proper.
Haringey: Pajetet, Luke, Olufemi (Richards 76), Yiga, Mitchell, Sherriff, Dtassi-Sambu, Kay, Gabriel, O’Donoghue (Benjamin 83), McDonald (Benjamin 72). Unused subs: Ademiluyi, Byfield.