FA Trophy: Haringey Borough 3 Thame United 1

Haringey's Anthony McDonald scored against Thame (Pic: Gavin Ellis/TGS Photo)

Haringey's Anthony McDonald scored against Thame (Pic: Gavin Ellis/TGS Photo) - Credit: Gavin Ellis/TGS Photo

Two late goals helped Haringey reach the FA Trophy first round proper for the first time in their history at Coles Park on Saturday.

In only the second-ever meeting between the two clubs, the result remained in the balance until five minutes from time, when the hosts sealed victory.

The first half was all Haringey but with all their possession they just couldn’t put the tie to bed and only had one goal to show for it.

Borough’s first real chance came on 15 minutes when Joseph Benjamin tried a left-footed drive which Craig Hill got down well to his left to stop.

The resulting corner was cleared to the edge of the box where Ryan Hervel had two chances but was blocked both times.

The breakthrough came 15 minutes later when Jordan Edwards finished from six yards after a telling cross by Daniel Aristidou from the right.

The only other chance in the half also fell to Haringey, when Rakim Richards shot over after Anthony McDonald’s long run and cross fell to his feet.

Most Read

The second half action really didn’t get going until the hour mark and then it was all Thame.

First Lynton Goss beat three defenders but his shot was weak and Ashley Harris, back in a Borough shirt at Coles Park for the first time in over a year, gathered safely.

Ten minutes later Harris was in action again, this time saving low to his left from a free kick at the edge of the box. And just after this, Harris produced his best save, when another free kick this 25 yards out was held with Thame forwards bearing down on him for any mishap.

Harris had no chance with Thame’s equaliser, though, as the ball was put into the box and pinged about until Dan West shot low into the net.

Haringey’s second was a penalty as Richards raced into the box and was nudged, resulting in him landing in a heap. McDonald placed the ball on the spot and coolly placed it past the keeper, who dived in the right direction but couldn’t reach it.

It was nearly 2-2 when a Thame free kick on the halfway line caught whatever wind there was and nearly bounced over Harris, but he kept it out just.

Going into time added on, Thame had a corner, their goalkeeper went up, the ball was cleared and Michael Ademiluyi outraced the defenders and finished without any problems.

Haringey will now go into the hat with National League sides in Monday’s draw, before visiting Bostik North rivals Potters Bar on Tuesday and then hosting Hertford on Saturday.

Haringey: Harris, Olufemi, O’Donoghue, Hervell, Mitchell, Gordon, Aristidou (Ademiluyi 74), Edwards (Heather 86), Benjamin (Gabriel 68), Richards, McDonald. Unused subs: Fenton, Jackson.