FA Cup: Welling 1 Haringey Borough 2
- Credit: Archant
Haringey produced arguably their best-ever result with an FA Cup giantkilling of National League South outfit Welling in the second qualifying round on Saturday.
And their reward for pulling off such an upset, as well as £4,500 in prize money, is a home tie against Bodmin Town or Bideford on September 30.
Welling enjoyed the majority possession but in the first half their final passes and crosses were often ineffective and Borough defended stoutly.
But Borough were themselves dangerous on the counter and in one such early raid on eight minutes Ralston Gabriel ran clear to latch on to a long through ball, compose himself and outwit the ‘keeper before slotting home into the empty net.
Tackles flew in throughout a full-blooded cup tie and the hosts got back on terms on 56 minutes when Joe Healy stabbed home a deserved equaliser from close range.
You may also want to watch:
The Wings looked the more likely winners after that as Borough were forced to soak up pressure and the home side were awarded a penalty on 76 minutes after a mistimed tackle in the box.
But Valery Pajetat – who made three brilliant saves in a penalty shoot out win at Hitchin – proved equal to the task again as he threw himself low to his left to clutch Christian Nanetti’s hard spot-kick.
- 1 All Camden care home residents given Covid jab
- 2 Crouch End's 'Paul the Paper' bids farewell to Broadway stall
- 3 Mikel Arteta turns focus to new signings after Arsenal let fringe players leave
- 4 Buyers claim luxury flats are 'nightmare' construction site
- 5 Arsenal legend Nigel Winterburn relieved to see Mesut Ozil depart
- 6 Councillors slam 'outrageous' change of plans for 100 Avenue Road
- 7 Apology to Barnet mother for 'embarrassing' food parcel
- 8 Plans for council homes to replace Highgate car wash
- 9 Arsenal look to bounce back at home to West Ham
- 10 Hampstead Heath guru Diane is 'a lifeline' for women's walking group
Better was to follow two minutes later as an intricate move on the right led by Borough captain Tosin Olufemi ended with a foul inside the box and a Borough penalty.
Gabriel kept his nerve to smash the resultant spot-kick home and tempers flared in the closing stages, with players from both sides coming together in one incident.
Seven yellow cards were shown during the tie and Welling went for broke late on, sending their keeper up for a corner, but Haringey held on with a superb team effort to reach the third qualifying round for the first time since 1986.
Borough return to Bostik North action with a home match against Soham Town Rangers on Saturday.
Haringey: Pajetat, Olufemi, O’Donoghue, Yiga, Richards, Sheriff, Djassi-Sambu, Kay (Benjamin 70), Gabriel, O’Donoghue (Luke 59), McDonald (Ademiluyi 59). Unused subs: Mitchell, Aristidou, Coley, Byfield.