England players back Hampstead Cricket Club’s coaching programme for women
- Credit: Archant
England women’s cricket team helped to launch Hampstead Cricket Club’s female coaching programme on Sunday.
Club chairman Jim Carter, who plays Mr. Carson in Downton Abbey, was delighted with the 500-strong turnout to the event at Lymington Road.
On this occasion, Carter acted as compere as the England players delivered masterclasses to more than 100 girls.
He said: “It was fantastic for getting them into cricket – this is our first year offering coaching for girls and around 30 have already signed up.”
The women’s team rounded off the day by playing against a mixture of the Hampstead men’s teams.
Carter added: “There were a couple of our 15 year-olds who really distinguished themselves, along with representatives from our other teams.
“It looked as though the men were cruising to victory but the England women tightened their grip right at the end to win.
- 1 Alexandra Palace: 2 hospitalised in Red Bull's Soapbox Race
- 2 I want to philately! Freddie Mercury’s stamp collection goes on display
- 3 Five classic Rolling Stones moments at BST Hyde Park
- 4 Police called to 'youth with knife trying to climb school gates'
- 5 The Rolling Stones prove rock ‘n’ roll is alive and kicking at Hyde Park
- 6 In pictures: Wacky racers descend on Alexandra Palace for soapbox challenge
- 7 Camden watchmaker launches crowdfunding campaign
- 8 Night-time fishing suspended at Vale of Health following 'antisocial behaviour'
- 9 Bentley Motor blue plaque in North London 'prized off wall and stolen'
- 10 Gabriel Jesus solves Arsenal's striking conundrum
“The whole day was a fantastic showcase of women’s cricket.”