Hockey: England 2 New Zealand 0
- Credit: Archant
Goals from Hampstead & Westminster’s Will Calnan and Luke Taylor secured England a mouth-watering Hockey World Cup quarter-final tie with Argentina.
It was a second straight win for Danny Kerry’s side at the tournament, following their 4-2 victory over Ireland in their last group game.
The Black Sticks had chances throughout the game but couldn’t find a way past George Pinner, while at the other end Mike Joyce was also kept very busy.
There was nothing he could do to prevent Hampstead youngster Calnan or Taylor, though, as England secured their place in the final eight against the reigning Olympic champions.
And it is a match player of the match Liam Sanford firmly believes they can win.
“We learnt from our previous games and knew we had to control it, knew when we were on the ball we had to keep it and the team did that really well today,” he said.
“We’ll just enjoy the victory and then go away and learn from the game – there’s lots we can still improve on.
- 1 Obituary: Tributes to Gospel Oak toy 'legend' Kristin Baybars
- 2 Meet the Crouch End duo taking on McDonald's
- 3 John Lewis Christmas advert: The Golders Green teenager who met an alien
- 4 'Looking for '70s or '80s clothing? Here is a north London gem'
- 5 Three dogs saved from Swiss Cottage flat fire
- 6 Hampstead Heath to host first Christmas Fayre
- 7 Hundreds march against male violence in Haringey
- 8 'The case for Arsenal starting places for Martinelli and Tierney'
- 9 CCTV: ‘Violent’ Archway Road shop robbery
- 10 Christmas at Kenwood feels like walking in a winter wonderland
“We’ve shown in the last game and this that we can overcome those tough fixtures so it’s all to play for.”
Kerry’s side will take on Argentina on Wednesday, live on BT Sport.
England: George Pinner, David Ames, Harry Martin, Mark Gleghorne, Adam Dixon, Barry Middleton, Liam Ansell, David Condon, Jack Waller, James Gall, Liam Sanford. Subs: Luke Taylor, Ian Sloan, Michael Hoare, Phil Roper, Will Calnan, Zach Wallace.