Eight Saracens stars are selected in England World Cup squad
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
Saracens are the most represented club in England’s World Cup squad after national coach Stuart Lancaster picked eight of the Hendon outfit’s players in his 31-man group.
The Vunipola brothers, Mako and Billy, have both been selected, along with George Kruis, Richard Wigglesworth, Brad Barritt, Jamie George, Owen Farrell and Alex Goode.
Saracens director of rugby Mark McCall said: “We’re extremely proud. To have provided a quarter of the entire squad is brilliant news for the club as a whole. Out of the eight six are under the age of 26, and that is extremely exciting both for England, and for Saracens.
“All of those who have been included have worked incredibly hard and, as a club, we are always delighted to see our players perform on the international stage.
“I’m sure I share every Saracens fan’s sentiments when I say that we all wish them luck in the upcoming World Cup.”
You may also want to watch:
The squad of 17 forwards and 14 backs – drawn from eight Premiership clubs – will play their first group match against Fiji at Twickenham on September 18.
Lancaster said: “It’s really positive that we have such depth and options to choose from.
- 1 Jeremy Corbyn launches Peace and Justice Project with calls to action
- 2 Arsenal 'showing maturity' says David Luiz
- 3 Arsenal boss Arteta worried about player burnout
- 4 O2 Centre: developer Landsec 'looking to re-provide' Sainsbury's
- 5 Homeschooling in lockdown: Top tips for a north London parent
- 6 Is lockdown working in north London? Here's what the latest data tells us
- 7 Joan Bakewell fires legal threat to government over second Covid jab
- 8 Arsenal column: Granit Xhaka the stand out performer since Boxing Day but some of his senior professionals continue to disappoint
- 9 Lord's Cricket Ground used as Covid-19 vaccination centre
- 10 Ozil travels to Turkey as Arsenal exit looms
“We are looking forward to the country getting behind England and we know this group of players will represent the nation with pride.”