Drake hat-trick helps Hampstead Ladies into final of Women’s Intermediate Plate
- Credit: Archant
Robyn Drake scored a hat-trick as Hampstead Ladies thumped Supermarine 41-7 to secure a place in the final of the Women’s Intermediate Plate.
Hampstead had been disappointed in their previous outing, missing out on promotion after a defeat against Blackheath in their final league game of the season.
But Sunday’s home win means they will compete for a national trophy in Litchfield on March 29, when they face West Bridgford, who play in the division above – Championship North Division One – and beat Manchester 73-5 in their semi-final.
Visiting Supermarine exerted early pressure on Hampstead, but a crucial turnover and some slick hands allowed Drake to run from inside her own half and score her first try of the day.
Flanker Niki Fitzgerald then broke away and Anna Jones was on hand to score the second try, and winger Mel Wright also touched down before the break, while No10 Fran Hall added the conversions.
Supermarine got their own try after the interval, but Hampstead eased away with scores from Faye Hamp and Ruth Burns, while Drake completed her treble.
Hampstead Ladies’ second team were also at home, but they lost 33-31 to Canterbury with the last play of a thrilling match.
- 1 'We're proud of what we do': Kossoffs celebrates six months in Kentish Town
- 2 Two dead in Maida Vale: Woman stabbed and man 'struck by vehicle'
- 3 The most expensive homes sold in Haringey in November 2021
- 4 Italian sandwich shop opens in a Hampstead telephone box
- 5 'The joy of addiction is when you are free of it,' says Hampstead author
- 6 Ex-manager admits defrauding Paddington Sports Club
- 7 Hampstead, Highgate and Muswell Hill constituency changes consultation
- 8 'We don't need to drink more coffee' say cafés as Joe & The Juice moves in
- 9 Cops swoop on cannabis farm rumoured to be 'largest ever' busted in Haringey
- 10 The man who wants to put trains among the trees from Muswell Hill to Highgate