Double success for Cumberland as girls win national Team Tennis Premier Final
- Credit: Archant
Cumberland Tennis Club are celebrating a doubly successful weekend after the girls’ Under-18 team won the national AEGON Team Tennis Premier Final event, while the senior women’s side remained on course for a third successive title.
The girls had qualified through the group stages to reach the final four at the National Tennis Centre in Rohampton.
They faced the 2013 and 2014 winners West Hants on Saturday, contesting four singles matches and two doubles ties, played until one team had an overall win.
Cumberland, based on Alvanley Gardens in Hampstead, won three out of the four singles clashes – and a hard-fought doubles victory, which was won 10-8 in a third set tiebreak, took them through to the final.
Nottingham Academy were the opponents and, again, Cumberland came out on top in three of the singles showdowns before a doubles triumph (7-5, 6-4) secured the title.
You may also want to watch:
Meanwhile, the ladies’ first team are through to the finals of the AEGON Team Tennis National Championship, having won the tournament for the last two years.
They travelled to Leeds in Saturday’s play-off round and beat Rawdon Tennis Club 4-2 on their home turf.
- 1 Buyers launch legal action after £75k bill for flammable cladding
- 2 Senior councillors knew of chance to buy office block for £12m less than they paid
- 3 New Belsize restaurant Cinder enjoys busy opening after lockdown delays
- 4 Abandoned burger trailer finally removed from Muswell Hill street
- 5 Car crashes through South Hampstead garden wall - cyclist seriously injured
- 6 'Peace and Quiet' of Muswell Hill in band's new video
- 7 Temple Fortune's Cohens Jewellers celebrates turning 50 - a year late
- 8 When Prince's Sign o' the Times shop opened in Camden
- 9 'Football is everything': Camden United on tackling knife crime and supporting community
- 10 Boy George and Bananarama join Kenwood 2021 concert line up
The national finals will take place at the West Hants Club in Bournemouth from September 3-6.