Double success for Cumberland as girls win national Team Tennis Premier Final
- Credit: Archant
Cumberland Tennis Club are celebrating a doubly successful weekend after the girls’ Under-18 team won the national AEGON Team Tennis Premier Final event, while the senior women’s side remained on course for a third successive title.
The girls had qualified through the group stages to reach the final four at the National Tennis Centre in Rohampton.
They faced the 2013 and 2014 winners West Hants on Saturday, contesting four singles matches and two doubles ties, played until one team had an overall win.
Cumberland, based on Alvanley Gardens in Hampstead, won three out of the four singles clashes – and a hard-fought doubles victory, which was won 10-8 in a third set tiebreak, took them through to the final.
Nottingham Academy were the opponents and, again, Cumberland came out on top in three of the singles showdowns before a doubles triumph (7-5, 6-4) secured the title.
You may also want to watch:
Meanwhile, the ladies’ first team are through to the finals of the AEGON Team Tennis National Championship, having won the tournament for the last two years.
They travelled to Leeds in Saturday’s play-off round and beat Rawdon Tennis Club 4-2 on their home turf.
- 1 All Camden care home residents given Covid jab
- 2 Crouch End's 'Paul the Paper' bids farewell to Broadway stall
- 3 Mikel Arteta turns focus to new signings after Arsenal let fringe players leave
- 4 Apology to Barnet mother for 'embarrassing' food parcel
- 5 Councillors slam 'outrageous' change of plans for 100 Avenue Road
- 6 'People are scared to come out', say Hampstead coffee shops
- 7 Hampstead vaccination centre shoots for 1,000 daily Covid jabs
- 8 Hampstead Heath guru Diane is 'a lifeline' for women's walking group
- 9 Lord's Cricket Ground used as Covid-19 vaccination centre
- 10 Arsenal agree to terminate contract of defender Sokratis Papastathopoulos
The national finals will take place at the West Hants Club in Bournemouth from September 3-6.