Double success for Cumberland as girls win national Team Tennis Premier Final
- Credit: Archant
Cumberland Tennis Club are celebrating a doubly successful weekend after the girls’ Under-18 team won the national AEGON Team Tennis Premier Final event, while the senior women’s side remained on course for a third successive title.
The girls had qualified through the group stages to reach the final four at the National Tennis Centre in Rohampton.
They faced the 2013 and 2014 winners West Hants on Saturday, contesting four singles matches and two doubles ties, played until one team had an overall win.
Cumberland, based on Alvanley Gardens in Hampstead, won three out of the four singles clashes – and a hard-fought doubles victory, which was won 10-8 in a third set tiebreak, took them through to the final.
Nottingham Academy were the opponents and, again, Cumberland came out on top in three of the singles showdowns before a doubles triumph (7-5, 6-4) secured the title.
Meanwhile, the ladies’ first team are through to the finals of the AEGON Team Tennis National Championship, having won the tournament for the last two years.
They travelled to Leeds in Saturday’s play-off round and beat Rawdon Tennis Club 4-2 on their home turf.
- 1 Police probe reports of shooting at scene of crash in West Hampstead
- 2 Disabled swimmer loses court battle over Heath swimming prices
- 3 Primrose Hill gates could close again due to antisocial behaviour
- 4 New toilets and changing rooms in Hampstead ponds £700,000 revamp
- 5 St John's Wood prep school downgraded to 'requires improvement'
- 6 Opening date confirmed for new Finchley Road Aldi
- 7 Cops hunt 'crucial' witness 'Sandra' who helped teen rape victim
- 8 Jailed: 10 north London offenders put behind bars in May
- 9 TfL worker launches petition to reinstate Finsbury Park to Edgware railway
- 10 Old Bailey: Pair enter pleas over Alex Smith murder
The national finals will take place at the West Hants Club in Bournemouth from September 3-6.