Double success for Cumberland as girls win national Team Tennis Premier Final
- Credit: Archant
Cumberland Tennis Club are celebrating a doubly successful weekend after the girls’ Under-18 team won the national AEGON Team Tennis Premier Final event, while the senior women’s side remained on course for a third successive title.
The girls had qualified through the group stages to reach the final four at the National Tennis Centre in Rohampton.
They faced the 2013 and 2014 winners West Hants on Saturday, contesting four singles matches and two doubles ties, played until one team had an overall win.
Cumberland, based on Alvanley Gardens in Hampstead, won three out of the four singles clashes – and a hard-fought doubles victory, which was won 10-8 in a third set tiebreak, took them through to the final.
Nottingham Academy were the opponents and, again, Cumberland came out on top in three of the singles showdowns before a doubles triumph (7-5, 6-4) secured the title.
You may also want to watch:
Meanwhile, the ladies’ first team are through to the finals of the AEGON Team Tennis National Championship, having won the tournament for the last two years.
They travelled to Leeds in Saturday’s play-off round and beat Rawdon Tennis Club 4-2 on their home turf.
- 1 Teenager's artwork reimagines grandfather's class photo
- 2 Haringey Council launches investigation into land deal with rapper
- 3 Highgate's assassin: the student hostel where a murder was planned
- 4 5 great places in north London to get away from the summer crowds
- 5 Modern murder mysteries set in the heart of Hampstead
- 6 Nancy Jirira wins Fortune Green by-election, holding on to Lib Dem council seat
- 7 £5,000 of crack cocaine and heroin found in Hampstead home
- 8 Crouch End Festival Chorus: Alexandra Palace Theatre
- 9 Vehicles scraped and traffic chaos after width-restriction bollards moved
- 10 'Like the Fleet's resurfaced': Flash flooding hits Hampstead and Highgate
The national finals will take place at the West Hants Club in Bournemouth from September 3-6.