Different week, same attitude and determination for UCSOB despite London French loss
- Credit: Archant
UCSOB found this week very different to their superb 28-15 success at London Welsh Druids seven days earlier.
The change from sub-zero to sub-tropical temperatures was the least of the changes as the result was different too, London French taking the spoils in a 34-20 win.
But with third-placed French currently the Herts Middlesex One form team, one thing that remained very similar for the Old Boys was the attitude and determination, which was exemplary.
Two early tries for the visitors, thanks to a couple of clever inside passes, looked like trouble for the Hampstead-based rugby club.
But a huge scrum effort following the restart, opened up the blind side and good hands showed this would be closer than first advertised.
UCS continued to plug away at the French chipping away at the score board with a couple of penalties but London French finished the half 22-14 in front through some great tries from some less-great defence.
UCSOB were not done though and dug-in during the second half, taking the game to the opposition.
- 1 Man files complaint following 'unlawful arrest' by police officers
- 2 First Muslim lord mayor of Westminster announced
- 3 Golders Green school rated 'inadequate' for second time
- 4 Barnet: Two men charged following fatal High Road stabbing
- 5 'It's a lovely community': The Bull reopens under new management
- 6 Camden, Westminster raids as 14 arrested in sex trafficking warrants
- 7 Covid-19: Hospital admissions and bed occupancy continue to fall
- 8 Man accused of sexual assaults in Camden and Islington bailed
- 9 Hampstead nursery slams church over impending eviction
- 10 What is the rare 'monkeypox' being treated at the Royal Free?
Two more penalties were kicked but depsite the scrum being on top and a great energy throughout the side, pressure could not be turned into points.
A yellow card turned the tide, giving the French the chance to run a couple more tries.
That said there were still a couple of standout moments for the hosts; Nathaniel Breakwell’s penalty kicking, a few charging runs by big Will Jones and a fantastic chase by winger David which stopped a certain try.
It bodes well for UCSOB’s remaining games, starting with the trip to Old Actonians on March 4.
UCSOB: Ghanem, Warner, Sewell, Boulden, Turton, Jones, Zabci, Filip, Coates, Arnold, Bromley, Oulton, Hughes, Breakwell
Replacements: Bahl, Cohen, Sargeant