Different week, same attitude and determination for UCSOB despite London French loss
- Credit: Archant
UCSOB found this week very different to their superb 28-15 success at London Welsh Druids seven days earlier.
The change from sub-zero to sub-tropical temperatures was the least of the changes as the result was different too, London French taking the spoils in a 34-20 win.
But with third-placed French currently the Herts Middlesex One form team, one thing that remained very similar for the Old Boys was the attitude and determination, which was exemplary.
Two early tries for the visitors, thanks to a couple of clever inside passes, looked like trouble for the Hampstead-based rugby club.
But a huge scrum effort following the restart, opened up the blind side and good hands showed this would be closer than first advertised.
You may also want to watch:
UCS continued to plug away at the French chipping away at the score board with a couple of penalties but London French finished the half 22-14 in front through some great tries from some less-great defence.
UCSOB were not done though and dug-in during the second half, taking the game to the opposition.
- 1 Women attacked by wrench-wielding man in Hampstead
- 2 South Hampstead neighbours mourn tree felled by Storm Christoph
- 3 Every single critical care bed full at hospitals
- 4 'Big victory,' says man behind Haverstock Hill cycle lanes legal challenge
- 5 Keeping your distance: Hampstead joggers and creperie crowds
- 6 Buyers claim luxury flats are 'nightmare' construction site
- 7 Crouch End's 'Paul the Paper' bids farewell to Broadway stall
- 8 Haverstock Hill cycle lanes order scrapped by Camden Council
- 9 Arteta 'very disappointed' by Arsenal exit
- 10 Camden residents offered symptom-free Covid testing
Two more penalties were kicked but depsite the scrum being on top and a great energy throughout the side, pressure could not be turned into points.
A yellow card turned the tide, giving the French the chance to run a couple more tries.
That said there were still a couple of standout moments for the hosts; Nathaniel Breakwell’s penalty kicking, a few charging runs by big Will Jones and a fantastic chase by winger David which stopped a certain try.
It bodes well for UCSOB’s remaining games, starting with the trip to Old Actonians on March 4.
UCSOB: Ghanem, Warner, Sewell, Boulden, Turton, Jones, Zabci, Filip, Coates, Arnold, Bromley, Oulton, Hughes, Breakwell
Replacements: Bahl, Cohen, Sargeant