Dereck Chisora eyes showdown with Alexander Povetkin in Moscow before Tyson Fury rematch
- Credit: PA Wire/Press Association Images
Dereck Chisora took a step closer to his eagerly-anticipated rematch with Tyson Fury after defeating Kevin Johnson at the Copper Box Arena – but the Hampstead heavyweight says he wants to face Alexander Povetkin in Moscow first.
Chisora, who lives in Hampstead Garden Suburb, gained a unanimous points win over the American Johnson in 12 rounds on Saturday to defend his WBO/WBA International Heavyweight titles.
The 30-year-old is set to face Fury, who stopped Joey Abell in the fourth round on the same bill, in the summer.
However, Chisora is keen to take on Povetkin in the Russian’s own country first.
He said: “Kevin came to survive and I knew it was going to be a long night and the fight was likely to go 12 rounds.
You may also want to watch:
“He recovered very well from the knockdown and full credit to him. You have to be wary of fighters like him.
“Now we move on to the next chapter. I tell you right now I want to go to Moscow. I want to fight Povetkin in the spring – and then after that we’ll get it on with Tyson in the summer.”
- 1 Jeremy Corbyn launches Peace and Justice Project with calls to action
- 2 Arsenal 'showing maturity' says David Luiz
- 3 Is lockdown working in north London? Here's what the latest data tells us
- 4 Homeschooling in lockdown: Top tips for a north London parent
- 5 Joan Bakewell fires legal threat to government over second Covid jab
- 6 O2 Centre: developer Landsec 'looking to re-provide' Sainsbury's
- 7 Ozil set for Arsenal exit
- 8 More goals, less mistakes needed says Spurs boss Mourinho
- 9 Royal Free's critical care beds 98pc full as Covid-19 cases top 500
- 10 Letters: Local business, vaccination, Abacus and The Ponds
Chisora’s promoter Frank Warren is making no promises about setting up the fight with Povetkin.
He said: “We’ll see what happens in April for Dereck, but we’re looking to set up the big one with Tyson Fury in the summer. That’s the one everyone wants.”