Dereck Chisora eyes showdown with Alexander Povetkin in Moscow before Tyson Fury rematch
- Credit: PA Wire/Press Association Images
Dereck Chisora took a step closer to his eagerly-anticipated rematch with Tyson Fury after defeating Kevin Johnson at the Copper Box Arena – but the Hampstead heavyweight says he wants to face Alexander Povetkin in Moscow first.
Chisora, who lives in Hampstead Garden Suburb, gained a unanimous points win over the American Johnson in 12 rounds on Saturday to defend his WBO/WBA International Heavyweight titles.
The 30-year-old is set to face Fury, who stopped Joey Abell in the fourth round on the same bill, in the summer.
However, Chisora is keen to take on Povetkin in the Russian’s own country first.
He said: “Kevin came to survive and I knew it was going to be a long night and the fight was likely to go 12 rounds.
You may also want to watch:
“He recovered very well from the knockdown and full credit to him. You have to be wary of fighters like him.
“Now we move on to the next chapter. I tell you right now I want to go to Moscow. I want to fight Povetkin in the spring – and then after that we’ll get it on with Tyson in the summer.”
- 1 Buyers launch legal action after £75k bill for flammable cladding
- 2 Developer's plan for six houses in old pub car park in Highgate Hill
- 3 Nazanin may become 'bargaining chip' in Iran nuclear deal, warns husband
- 4 Woman dies after house fire in Muswell Hill
- 5 The Heath, exhaust theft, public access, Centene, the Streatery and more
- 6 Arsenal hit Gillingham for ten in FA Cup
- 7 Arteta: Arsenal have to win these games or face consequence
- 8 Car crashes through South Hampstead garden wall - cyclist seriously injured
- 9 Senior councillors knew of chance to buy office block for £12m less than they paid
- 10 Helen McCrory: 'Mighty' Tufnell Park actor dies aged 52
Chisora’s promoter Frank Warren is making no promises about setting up the fight with Povetkin.
He said: “We’ll see what happens in April for Dereck, but we’re looking to set up the big one with Tyson Fury in the summer. That’s the one everyone wants.”