Wimbledon: Dart sets up date with world number one Barty
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
Hampstead’s Harriet Dart reached the third round at Wimbledon for the first time and booked a meeting with world number one Ashleigh Barty.
The British number four dug deep to secure the biggest win of her career in three sets against Beatriz Haddad Maia.
After taking the first set on a tie-break, Dart looked in trouble when Brazilian Haddad Maia took the match into a decider.
The 22-year-old played some confident, high-class tennis, but when her levels dropped and she became frustrated Haddad Maia took advantage.
However, Haddad Maia needed extensive treatment on a hip problem and a refocused Dart reeled off five games in a row to run out a 7-6 (4) 3-6 6-1 winner.
You may also want to watch:
Serving at 5-4, world number 182 Dart was two points from clinching the first set but Haddad Maia broke back and then held to take the lead for the first time.
A bold service game from Dart took the set into a tie-break and, back in aggressive mode, she took it impressively.
- 1 Suburb couple start canal concerts with afternoon tea
- 2 O2 Centre: Developer says it 'will listen' but still aiming for 1,900 homes
- 3 'Something out of Blade Runner?' BT eyes screen near cinema
- 4 Spoiler: Cycling up Haverstock Hill is hard work
- 5 Thames Water 'sorry' after Finchley Road diversion sees cars damaged
- 6 Piers Plowright obituary: BBC and Hampstead star dies at 83
- 7 Winter closure of Royal Free kids A&E 'boosted Covid resilience' – NHS report
- 8 Muswell Hill club wins 'Premier League' of junior chess
- 9 North London floods return – with South End Green deluged again
- 10 Ally Pally and Highgate's abandoned station star in new children's book
Dart, whose ankle was already strapped, required further treatment during the changeover and on the resumption promptly dropped serve.
They exchanged breaks again, Dart slipping from 40-0 up, and Haddad Maia went on to level the match.
At 1-1 in the decider Haddad Maia took the medical time-out and Dart, sensing her chance, stepped on the gas to book a dream third-round showdown with Barty.