Dart exits Wimbledon after brave display against Pliskova
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
West Hampstead local beaten in first round by former world number one
West Hampstead’s Harriet Dart slipped to a battling first-round Wimbledon defeat to Karolina Pliskova as the Czech seventh seed sealed a 7-6 (7/2) 2-6 6-1 victory.
Dart, 21, shook off a nasty-looking leg injury to claim the second set in style and force her clash with the world number eight into a decider.
But after failing to convert three break points at the top of the final set, Dart handed all the momentum back to her seasoned opponent.
And after that Pliskova hit cruise control to coast into the second round at SW19.
You may also want to watch:
Dart has hit a career-high world ranking of 171 this summer, and showed extended bursts of her potential on her Wimbledon main-draw debut.
But the Londoner’s injury — after a baseline slip — ultimately put paid to any hopes of a big early upset.
- 1 Anger over Thames Water and Westminster Council's flash floods response
- 2 Man charged with indecent exposure and voyeurism in West Hampstead
- 3 Hampstead 'business hero' honoured for work with Soho Dairy street stall
- 4 Camden councillors rally against constituency boundary changes
- 5 CQC says Royal Free 'comprehensively responded' to maternity issues
- 6 Piers Plowright obituary: BBC and Hampstead star dies at 83
- 7 O2 Centre: Developer says it 'will listen' but still aiming for 1,900 homes
- 8 'Something out of Blade Runner?' BT eyes screen near cinema
- 9 North London floods return – with South End Green deluged again
- 10 Convicted terrorist sent back to jail after bin lorry breach
Dart will hope to learn from the experience and return to Wimbledon many more times in the years to come.