Dart exits Wimbledon after brave display against Pliskova
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
West Hampstead local beaten in first round by former world number one
West Hampstead’s Harriet Dart slipped to a battling first-round Wimbledon defeat to Karolina Pliskova as the Czech seventh seed sealed a 7-6 (7/2) 2-6 6-1 victory.
Dart, 21, shook off a nasty-looking leg injury to claim the second set in style and force her clash with the world number eight into a decider.
But after failing to convert three break points at the top of the final set, Dart handed all the momentum back to her seasoned opponent.
And after that Pliskova hit cruise control to coast into the second round at SW19.
You may also want to watch:
Dart has hit a career-high world ranking of 171 this summer, and showed extended bursts of her potential on her Wimbledon main-draw debut.
But the Londoner’s injury — after a baseline slip — ultimately put paid to any hopes of a big early upset.
- 1 Coldplay and Ed Sheeran to perform at Earthshot Prize ceremony at Ally Pally
- 2 Muswell Hill man captures picture of car bursting into flames in high street
- 3 Charles de Gaulle's old Hampstead home on sale for £15m
- 4 West Hampstead mum Nazanin 'loses appeal' in Iran
- 5 'Forever grateful': Community steps up after man's dog dies on Hampstead Heath
- 6 Muswell Hill couple slam planning laws as chipboard outhouse appears
- 7 Tributes paid to Primrose Hill mother-of-four as fundraiser launched
- 8 Man charged with murder of Nicole Hurley in Primrose Hill
- 9 Primrose Hill 'Howloween' party to support rescue dogs
- 10 Crouch End drugs raid sees 'cannabis plants and equipment seized'
Dart will hope to learn from the experience and return to Wimbledon many more times in the years to come.