Dart exits Wimbledon after brave display against Pliskova
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
West Hampstead local beaten in first round by former world number one
West Hampstead’s Harriet Dart slipped to a battling first-round Wimbledon defeat to Karolina Pliskova as the Czech seventh seed sealed a 7-6 (7/2) 2-6 6-1 victory.
Dart, 21, shook off a nasty-looking leg injury to claim the second set in style and force her clash with the world number eight into a decider.
But after failing to convert three break points at the top of the final set, Dart handed all the momentum back to her seasoned opponent.
And after that Pliskova hit cruise control to coast into the second round at SW19.
You may also want to watch:
Dart has hit a career-high world ranking of 171 this summer, and showed extended bursts of her potential on her Wimbledon main-draw debut.
But the Londoner’s injury — after a baseline slip — ultimately put paid to any hopes of a big early upset.
- 1 Royal Free's critical care beds 98pc full as Covid-19 cases top 500
- 2 Is lockdown working in north London? Here's what the latest data tells us
- 3 Hospital staff describe 'distressing' battle against rising Covid cases
- 4 Joan Bakewell fires legal threat to government over second Covid jab
- 5 Mikel Arteta 'excited' by Arsenal's appointment of Richard Garlick
- 6 Camden man charged with prostitution offences and sexual exploitation
- 7 Lord's Cricket Ground used as Covid-19 vaccination centre
- 8 Housing: Billionaire owner of 'squalid shoeboxes' must 'up its game'
- 9 One in ten people without symptoms Covid positive at Haringey centres
- 10 Ice cream shop supporting freelancers opens in Primose Hill
Dart will hope to learn from the experience and return to Wimbledon many more times in the years to come.