Cumberland ladies win historic national tennis title
- Credit: Archant
Cumberland Tennis Club’s ladies team became national champions for the first time in their history at the weekend – and secured a £7,000 windfall.
The club’s team of Anne Keothavong, Harriet Dart, Naomi Cavaday, Frances Hendry, Kate Green and Lena Keothavong won the 2013 AEGON Team Tennis National Open Finals.
They triumphed in a closely-fought final against the University of Bath at the West Hants Club in Bournemouth, following three days of tough tennis in hot and steamy conditions.
Cumberland chairman Simon Jones said: “It is an amazing moment in the club’s 130-year history for us to be crowned national ladies champions.
“We are incredibly proud of each member of the team and we hope this fantastic achievement inspires all the other teams at the club to emulate the women’s success.”
You may also want to watch:
Cumberland came into the competition as top seeds, and they got off to a strong start with an 8-0 win over Thongsbridge, before an equally resounding 10-2 triumph over Edgbaston Priory Club in the semi-final.
Cumberland also took the early initiative in the final, with key singles wins for Green, Dart and Cavaday securing a 3-0 lead and taking them to within one rubber of the title.
- 1 Burger King launches its first 'dark kitchen' for north London deliveries
- 2 Arrests made after reports of antisemitic abuse in St John's Wood
- 3 Residents bid farewell to Highgate Station’s beloved black cat
- 4 The Magdala returns as pubs and restaurants reopen indoors on May 17
- 5 Indian variant of Covid-19 - what's the situation in London?
- 6 Barnet councillor leaves Tory group over 'personal matter'
- 7 Zookeeper's sponsored swim as London Zoo reopens indoor areas
- 8 Lane closure scrapped after high pollution readings double
- 9 Haringey Council leader ousted by rival in Labour group vote
- 10 Singing in a choir can 'change the world and boost mental health'
An unfortunate retirement at number one singles narrowed the gap to 3-1 going in to the doubles rubbers – but Cumberland started strongly, with Cavaday and Green racing to a 6-1, 6-2 win at number two doubles to put the West Hampstead club out of reach.
Keothavong and Dart combined for a 6-2, 6-2 win at number one doubles to give Cumberland a 10-2 win overall and £7,000.
The ladies bid for another title this weekend as they contest the Middlesex Cup final against Queen’s Club.