Cumberland ladies win historic national tennis title
- Credit: Archant
Cumberland Tennis Club’s ladies team became national champions for the first time in their history at the weekend – and secured a £7,000 windfall.
The club’s team of Anne Keothavong, Harriet Dart, Naomi Cavaday, Frances Hendry, Kate Green and Lena Keothavong won the 2013 AEGON Team Tennis National Open Finals.
They triumphed in a closely-fought final against the University of Bath at the West Hants Club in Bournemouth, following three days of tough tennis in hot and steamy conditions.
Cumberland chairman Simon Jones said: “It is an amazing moment in the club’s 130-year history for us to be crowned national ladies champions.
“We are incredibly proud of each member of the team and we hope this fantastic achievement inspires all the other teams at the club to emulate the women’s success.”
You may also want to watch:
Cumberland came into the competition as top seeds, and they got off to a strong start with an 8-0 win over Thongsbridge, before an equally resounding 10-2 triumph over Edgbaston Priory Club in the semi-final.
Cumberland also took the early initiative in the final, with key singles wins for Green, Dart and Cavaday securing a 3-0 lead and taking them to within one rubber of the title.
- 1 Petrol station forecourts closed and long queues in north London
- 2 'We've been forgotten': Homeless Muswell Hill family demand action
- 3 ‘I was livid': Outrage as Camden homeless man sprayed with hose
- 4 'Land grab': Muswell Hill Gail's accused of taking over pavement
- 5 Mayor of Camden joins West Hampstead Primary School renaming fair
- 6 Explore 8 of north London's prettiest streets
- 7 Man jailed for rape of young girl in north London 40 years ago
- 8 Crunch! Eliana and Ariella's granola business success
- 9 How did a double-decker bus crash straight into a Crouch End house?
- 10 New Jewish Fringe festival comes to Golders Green
An unfortunate retirement at number one singles narrowed the gap to 3-1 going in to the doubles rubbers – but Cumberland started strongly, with Cavaday and Green racing to a 6-1, 6-2 win at number two doubles to put the West Hampstead club out of reach.
Keothavong and Dart combined for a 6-2, 6-2 win at number one doubles to give Cumberland a 10-2 win overall and £7,000.
The ladies bid for another title this weekend as they contest the Middlesex Cup final against Queen’s Club.