Clarke hat-trick secures London Schools Cup as Haverstock complete the treble

The triumphant squad from Haverstock School

The triumphant squad from Haverstock School - Credit: Archant

Haverstock School’s Under-14s have completed a treble after their victory in the London Schools Cup final secured their third trophy of the season.

Haverstock, who are based on Haverstock Hill opposite Chalk Farm tube station, had already won the Camden & Islington District Cup and the Camden Borough Schools Cup when they travelled to Sutton United’s ground in Surrey for their latest showdown – and Charlie Clarke hit a hat-trick as they beat Ark Globe Academy from Southwark 6-3 to add more silverware to their collection.

“The boys were so up for it and did everything we discussed in the team talk before the game – it was like watching a Premier League team against a non-league side,” said coach Jamie Histed, who runs the team alongside Matt Rowling.

“I am so proud of the boys. They really put the work in, on and off the pitch – they ran their socks off. For them to follow the instructions and to come out in front all of the spectators and display such beautiful football is fantastic.

“We won the double last season and the treble this season so we’re really going to struggle to top that.”

Haverstock came flying out of the blocks in the first half and totally dominated their opponents.

Clarke broke the deadlock and, before long, he had doubled his tally, while a fine free kick from Rio Glean made it 3-0 in the 25th minute.

Most Read

Quick passing was combined with tireless pressing which made it difficult for Globe to string more than two or three passes together – and Haverstock went 4-0 up shortly before the interval as J’Neil Bennett completed an intricate move with a powerful finish into the top corner.

The victory appeared to be a formality, but Globe fought their way back into the game after the half-time break.

The tactic of playing early balls towards their pacy striker paid dividends as they were awarded set pieces in dangerous areas – and they scored two clinical goals from free kicks before a header from a corner made it 4-3.

With 10 minutes left, Alfie Wiltshire – who is a year younger than his team-mates – came off the bench for Haverstock, and he made an immediate impact, whipping in an inviting cross which was met by Clarke’s head as the man of the match completed his hat-trick and gave his side a two-goal cushion.

The obvious scheme now was to hold on to the ball and run down the clock, but Haverstock’s coaches had other ideas as they made two more attacking substitutions – and their adventure was rewarded with a sixth goal.

The front three of Clarke, Glean and Bennett broke at pace and the latter scored his second goal to put the result beyond doubt.