Isthmian Premier: Cheshunt 1 Wingate & Finchley 0
- Credit: George Phillipou/TGS Photo
Wingate & Finchley are now five league matches without a win after falling to a narrow 1-0 defeat away to Cheshunt.
A 54th minute strike from Afolabi Akinyemi secured the three points for Craig Edwards' side at Theobalds Lane.
The visitors started brightly and thought they had a penalty early on but it was overturned to a free-kick on the edge of the box.
The free-kick was cleared at the near post and allowed both teams to relax after some early tension.
In the 15th minute Ahmet Rifat got on the end of an inswinging free-kick but could only divert his header over the bar.
You may also want to watch:
Three minutes later Alphanso Kennedy burst into the box, crossing with his left, but it was comfortably held by Harry Girling.
A minute later, Alan Fleming burst past Ola Williams but fired wide of the target, before Wingate had another chance as Sean Cronin's clearance bounces off a team mate and it fell to Roman Michael-Percil but he dragged it wide from inside the box.
- 1 Nazanin may become 'bargaining chip' in Iran nuclear deal, warns husband
- 2 What's next? Covid-19 and the future of Hampstead Village
- 3 Vivianne Miedema voted Women's Super League's greatest ever player
- 4 Arsenal boss Arteta faces injury crisis decisions
- 5 Highgate's Food Bank Aid's year of giving - and a search for a bigger home
- 6 For Nazanin's sake, hostage-taking must be a nuclear deal issue
- 7 Camden's Levertons to arrange the funeral of Prince Philip on April 17
- 8 Tulip Siddiq MP: 'Nurseries are at the brink of collapse'
- 9 Crackdown on 'blue badge' disability parking fraud in Haringey
- 10 Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe: Wait for second verdict could last 'until Easter'
Despite a number of chances they went into the half-time goalless but it didn't take long for the hosts to change that in the second-half.
Nine minutes after the restart Ola Williams found striker Akinyemi and he then curled it home on the counter attack to give Cheshunt a 1-0 lead.
Wingate tried to get themselves back into the match but couldn't capitalise on any of their chances.
Cheshunt: Girling, Diallo, Williams, Hughes (Lanfers 37), McKenzie, Cronin, Westcott (Collins 46), Camara, Akinyemi (Olusanya 79), Moncur, Re.
Unused subs: Russell and Nelson-Roberts.
Wingate & Finchley: Gore, Ifil, Abrahams, Rifat, Forino-Joseph (Njie 67), Grace, Michael-Percil, Oluwatimilehin, Fleming (Ruff 69), Tejan-Sie (McKeown 69), Kennedy.
Unused subs: Ochieng and Hale-Brown.