Chandos Tennis Club reach semi-finals of National Premier Indoor League
- Credit: Archant
Chandos Tennis Club reached the semi-finals of the National Premier Indoor League at the weekend after a thrilling quarter-final victory which needed a championship tie-breaker to decide the contest.
Having secured their place in the last eight in February, the six-man team from the club which is based in Golders Green overcame Virgin Active Wearside 3-2 to reach the last four.
Captain Gunther Darkey and Komlavi Loglo – who have both played in the Davis Cup for Ghana and Togo – lost the first rubber 1-6, 6-4, 0-1 (10-7), but Marcus Gan and Oliver Gan won their match 6-4, 2-6, 1-0 (10-8).
The two pairs then played each other’s previous opponents, and Darkey and Loglo went down 6-4, 6-7, 0-1 (10-3), but the Gans triumphed 7-6, 6-7, 1-0 (10-6) to tie the match at 2-2.
All four rubbers had gone to tie-breaks and a final one was needed to separate the sides, with Oliver Gan and Loglo winning 10-8 to secure a place in the semi-finals.
You may also want to watch:
Chandos went on to face Gosling in the last four and they lost 4-0 to the team who finished as the runners-up.
- 1 Women attacked by wrench-wielding man in Hampstead
- 2 South Hampstead neighbours mourn tree felled by Storm Christoph
- 3 Keeping your distance: Hampstead joggers and creperie crowds
- 4 Every single critical care bed full at hospitals
- 5 'Big victory,' says man behind Haverstock Hill cycle lanes legal challenge
- 6 Crouch End's 'Paul the Paper' bids farewell to Broadway stall
- 7 Buyers claim luxury flats are 'nightmare' construction site
- 8 Arteta 'very disappointed' by Arsenal exit
- 9 In pictures: The Parkland Walk in lockdown
- 10 Obituary: Psychotherapist and author Dr Joseph Berke