Chandos Tennis Club reach semi-finals of National Premier Indoor League
- Credit: Archant
Chandos Tennis Club reached the semi-finals of the National Premier Indoor League at the weekend after a thrilling quarter-final victory which needed a championship tie-breaker to decide the contest.
Having secured their place in the last eight in February, the six-man team from the club which is based in Golders Green overcame Virgin Active Wearside 3-2 to reach the last four.
Captain Gunther Darkey and Komlavi Loglo – who have both played in the Davis Cup for Ghana and Togo – lost the first rubber 1-6, 6-4, 0-1 (10-7), but Marcus Gan and Oliver Gan won their match 6-4, 2-6, 1-0 (10-8).
The two pairs then played each other’s previous opponents, and Darkey and Loglo went down 6-4, 6-7, 0-1 (10-3), but the Gans triumphed 7-6, 6-7, 1-0 (10-6) to tie the match at 2-2.
All four rubbers had gone to tie-breaks and a final one was needed to separate the sides, with Oliver Gan and Loglo winning 10-8 to secure a place in the semi-finals.
You may also want to watch:
Chandos went on to face Gosling in the last four and they lost 4-0 to the team who finished as the runners-up.
- 1 London Assembly elections: Camden, Barnet and Haringey's candidates
- 2 What do you think of the Regent’s Park and Primrose Hill bins?
- 3 Ibiza comes to Kenwood with meditation and music for 'healthy hedonists'
- 4 Golders Green Hippodrome 'chooses love' at interfaith Covid vaccine drive
- 5 Porsche driver tries to get car insured on phone when stopped by police
- 6 Matt Hancock to give evidence at Infected Blood Inquiry
- 7 Tree topples onto neighbour's car after South Hampstead winds
- 8 Man stabbed to death at Brent Cross Shopping Centre
- 9 'Unacceptable' HGV use by developers in Church Row writes off 3 cars
- 10 Sabrina Francis made Camden's first Black woman mayor