Camden Swiss Cottage swimmers make a splash with victory in Junior League final
- Credit: Archant
Camden Swiss Cottage’s youngest stars produced an outstanding performance to win the Division One final in the M11 Junior League.
Division One of the national competition contains 16 teams from London, Essex, Surrey, Kent and Cambridgeshire – and, after two rounds, the top eight clubs meet in the final.
In a thrilling contest at the Barnet Copthall pool, the Camden team finished ahead of Dulwich Dolphins and hosts Barnet Copthall and now progress to the regional final to face the winners of leagues from across the south of England.
Nine-year-old Brandon Biss claimed the first individual victory in the boys’ 25m freestyle and he also won the 25m backstroke in his age group before joining Josua Mara, Luka Cutler and Oliver Wright to triumph in both the 4x25m freestyle and 4x25m medley relays.
Gabriele Giovannoni, 10, sprinted to first place in the 50m freestyle and took second in the 50m backstroke while also moving up an age group and coming third in the 11 years 50m backstroke.
Marliese Rittenhouse, 11, powered to victory in the 50m freestyle and touched second in the 50m backstroke, while Julia Murphy, 12, continued her preparations for the nationals with an emphatic victory in the 50m freestyle and a close second place in the 50m breaststroke.
Keith Mara, 10, won the 50m breaststroke and his younger brother Josua, nine, triumphed in the 25m butterfly.
- 2 Man arrested following stabbing on Royal College Street
- 3 Highgate woman pledges £1million for children's autism charity
- 4 'I'm sorry people had to wait 30 years,' former minister tells Infected Blood Inquiry
- 5 Five bedrooms, utterly charming and in Muswell Hill
- 6 CCTV footage released as family pay tribute to 'loving son' Olsi
- 7 Barnet: Two men charged following fatal High Road stabbing
- 8 Floating park between Camden Town and King's Cross
- 9 Former Camden Council leader chooses women's safety charity for second mayoral year
- 10 First Muslim lord mayor of Westminster announced
Murphy and Rittenhouse then teamed up with Clementine Butler Brown and Amelia Sargent to win the girls’ 12 years 4x50m freestyle relay. And, in an exciting climax to the competition, the duo then joined Biss, Edie McGrath, Scarlet Bureau, Giovannoni, Danny Markov and Konrad Georgescu to clinch victory in the 8x25m freestyle mixed cannon relay.