Camden footballer targets pro contract after entering competition on Facebook
- Credit: Archant
Amateur footballer Charlie Ball has been shortlisted in a nationwide competition to win a professional playing contract with a Football League club.
The 19-year-old midfielder, who lives in Malden Crescent in Camden and attended Haverstock School, will now take part in the first round of trials for Samsung’s Win A Pro Contract contest, which could see him sign up for Swindon Town, Wycombe Wanderers or Leyton Orient.
More than 5,700 players from all over the country entered the competition and Ball – who played for Wingate & Finchley up to Under-18 level and has also spent time at Grays Athletic, Barnet and Stevenage – is through to a skills testing session on Sunday.
He said: “I’m really excited, I entered through Facebook and I wasn’t expecting to hear anything.
“I’ve always played football but never felt I’ve been given a chance so to get through to this stage is amazing. I’m a hard worker. I put myself about so I hope they notice that and how much I put in for the team.”
You may also want to watch:
For the first time since Win A Pro Contract was launched in 2010, there are now three professional contracts on offer as Wycombe Wanderers join Samsung’s existing partnerships with Swindon Town and Leyton Orient.
Hopefuls will be tested at regional skills trials and 11-a-side matches as they bid to kickstart their dreams of becoming professional footballers.
- 1 Primrose Hill candlelight vigil to celebrate life of Nicole Hurley
- 2 'Let's save The Victoria pub in Highgate'
- 3 Tributes paid to Primrose Hill mother-of-four as fundraiser launched
- 4 Man charged with murder of Nicole Hurley in Primrose Hill
- 5 'Important for mental health': Royal Free commits to maintaining new gardens
- 6 Met Office warns of flooding risk with heavy rain set to hit London
- 7 Famous Hampstead Heath love swan Mrs Newbie dies
- 8 Guilty: Kentish Town man convicted of murdering Jack Ampadu
- 9 Italian sandwich bar set to open in Hampstead phone box
- 10 'Feels like a runway': Hampstead residents call for LED lamp post change