Camden footballer targets pro contract after entering competition on Facebook
- Credit: Archant
Amateur footballer Charlie Ball has been shortlisted in a nationwide competition to win a professional playing contract with a Football League club.
The 19-year-old midfielder, who lives in Malden Crescent in Camden and attended Haverstock School, will now take part in the first round of trials for Samsung’s Win A Pro Contract contest, which could see him sign up for Swindon Town, Wycombe Wanderers or Leyton Orient.
More than 5,700 players from all over the country entered the competition and Ball – who played for Wingate & Finchley up to Under-18 level and has also spent time at Grays Athletic, Barnet and Stevenage – is through to a skills testing session on Sunday.
He said: “I’m really excited, I entered through Facebook and I wasn’t expecting to hear anything.
“I’ve always played football but never felt I’ve been given a chance so to get through to this stage is amazing. I’m a hard worker. I put myself about so I hope they notice that and how much I put in for the team.”
You may also want to watch:
For the first time since Win A Pro Contract was launched in 2010, there are now three professional contracts on offer as Wycombe Wanderers join Samsung’s existing partnerships with Swindon Town and Leyton Orient.
Hopefuls will be tested at regional skills trials and 11-a-side matches as they bid to kickstart their dreams of becoming professional footballers.
- 1 Camden residents offered symptom-free Covid testing
- 2 Haverstock Hill cycle lanes order scrapped by Camden Council
- 3 Buyers claim luxury flats are 'nightmare' construction site
- 4 Crouch End's 'Paul the Paper' bids farewell to Broadway stall
- 5 Plans for council homes to replace Highgate car wash
- 6 Lord's Cricket Ground used as Covid-19 vaccination centre
- 7 Westminster Council shelves Paddington Rec cycling plans
- 8 Joan Bakewell fires legal threat to government over second Covid jab
- 9 Councillors slam 'outrageous' change of plans for 100 Avenue Road
- 10 Jeremy Corbyn launches Peace and Justice Project with calls to action