Camden footballer targets pro contract after entering competition on Facebook
- Credit: Archant
Amateur footballer Charlie Ball has been shortlisted in a nationwide competition to win a professional playing contract with a Football League club.
The 19-year-old midfielder, who lives in Malden Crescent in Camden and attended Haverstock School, will now take part in the first round of trials for Samsung’s Win A Pro Contract contest, which could see him sign up for Swindon Town, Wycombe Wanderers or Leyton Orient.
More than 5,700 players from all over the country entered the competition and Ball – who played for Wingate & Finchley up to Under-18 level and has also spent time at Grays Athletic, Barnet and Stevenage – is through to a skills testing session on Sunday.
He said: “I’m really excited, I entered through Facebook and I wasn’t expecting to hear anything.
“I’ve always played football but never felt I’ve been given a chance so to get through to this stage is amazing. I’m a hard worker. I put myself about so I hope they notice that and how much I put in for the team.”
You may also want to watch:
For the first time since Win A Pro Contract was launched in 2010, there are now three professional contracts on offer as Wycombe Wanderers join Samsung’s existing partnerships with Swindon Town and Leyton Orient.
Hopefuls will be tested at regional skills trials and 11-a-side matches as they bid to kickstart their dreams of becoming professional footballers.
- 1 Woman dies after house fire in Muswell Hill
- 2 What's next? Covid-19 and the future of Hampstead Village
- 3 Nazanin may become 'bargaining chip' in Iran nuclear deal, warns husband
- 4 Hampstead Ballet School star wins place at Bolshoi academy in Moscow
- 5 Helen McCrory: 'Mighty' Tufnell Park actress dies aged 52
- 6 Slavia Prague v Arsenal: Five Things We Learned
- 7 Hampstead robberies: Inside the police chase which caught 8 violent criminals
- 8 For Nazanin's sake, hostage-taking must be a nuclear deal issue
- 9 Camden's Levertons to arrange the funeral of Prince Philip on April 17
- 10 Myanmar ambassador pleads for help from Hampstead doorstep