Camden Fencing Club duo contest final at British Cadet and Junior Championships
- Credit: Archant
The British Cadet and Junior Championships took place at the weekend, and Camden Fencing Club’s Jonathon Webb beat his team-mate Rubin Amsalem in the Under-20 men’s sabre final.
The competition took place at the SportsDock by the University of East London’s Docklands Campus, and Camden produced some excellent results as usual.
Webb narrowly overcame Amsalem 15-12 in their final, while James Potter and Nathan Potter also reached the last eight of the Under-20 sabre event but were eliminated by Rogerson (Truro) and Gander-Compton (Brentwood).
Eden Amsalem and Christian Lindsay also achieved promising results, reaching the last 16 despite both being Under-17 cadets and facing older opponents.
Amsalem also came away with a bronze medal in the boys’ sabre, beating Caspian Watt from Shakespeare 15-9 before succumbing to the eventual champion Will Deary (Truro) in the semi-finals. Achilles Bergne was 13th in that event while Christian Lindsay was 25th.
You may also want to watch:
Meanwhile, Shreya Anil picked up a bronze in the girls’ sabre, comfortably winning her matches to reach the final four before losing 15-13 to Caitlin Maxwell, who also went on to win the title. Black was 11th in the same tournament.
Camden will be pleased by the fact that, as first-year juniors, Webb, Amsalem and Nathan Potter all have a further two years in this age group, while Eden Amsalem and Shreya Anil will still be cadets next year.
- 1 Famous Hampstead Heath love swan Mrs Newbie dies
- 2 'Feels like a runway': Hampstead residents call for LED lamp post change
- 3 Italian sandwich bar set to open in Hampstead phone box
- 4 'Victim-blaming': Disabled woman fears leaving flat after neighbour's abuse
- 5 Guilty: Kentish Town man convicted of murdering Jack Ampadu
- 6 'Let's save The Victoria pub in Highgate'
- 7 Wine, cheese and caviar: New bar to open in South End Green
- 8 Top producer gives hit making masterclass
- 9 'You're welcome here': Best pals, 12, make care packages for Afghan refugees
- 10 Prince William brings environmental Earthshot Prize ceremony to Ally Pally
With several other fencers not competing in the competition this year, the future looks very promising for the club.