Camden boys compete at Lord’s in London Youth Games indoor cricket finals
- Credit: Archant
Camden’s boys cricket team were in action at Lord’s at the weekend after qualifying for the indoor cricket finals of the London Youth Games for the first time.
Camden had never reached the last eight of the competition since it began in 1977, but the team – made up of Under-14s players from Hampstead, Regents Park and Primrose Hill Cricket Club – progressed through the group stage in Harrow to reach the quarter-finals at the home of cricket.
They lost to Southwark before being defeated by Tower Hamlets in a consolation match, but manager Phil Bowden was proud of his side.
“It was great fun. We’re disappointed we did not play as well as we would have liked to but the overall experience was fantastic,” he said.
“We never heard about this until a couple of months ago and the guys really enjoyed going up to Harrow for the group games.
You may also want to watch:
“It was a really good experience and we are already looking forward to the team we are trying to put together for next year.
“We have never got to Lord’s in the past, or not at least for 30 years. It is very pleasing and has attracted a fair bit of interest from the local council.
- 1 Covid, O2, police, village square, Notting Hill Genesis and the Suburb
- 2 Women attacked by wrench-wielding man in Hampstead
- 3 South Hampstead neighbours mourn tree felled by Storm Christoph
- 4 Keeping your distance: Hampstead joggers and creperie crowds
- 5 Crouch End's 'Paul the Paper' bids farewell to Broadway stall
- 6 Every single critical care bed full at hospitals
- 7 Arteta 'very disappointed' by Arsenal exit
- 8 Buyers claim luxury flats are 'nightmare' construction site
- 9 'Big victory,' says man behind Haverstock Hill cycle lanes legal challenge
- 10 Haverstock Hill cycle lanes order scrapped by Camden Council
“The boys love playing cricket and it’s great to have an indoor competition over the winter.
“The boys will compete over the summer, will go back to their clubs and end up playing against each other in the season.”