British heavyweight title fight is next for Big John McDermott
ENGLISH heavyweight champion John McDermott, who recently beat Pele Reid at York Hall to land the vacant belt, will fight British champion Danny Williams in July, his manager Johnny Branch has confirmed, writes Simon Jackson. McDermott, a former St Pancra
ENGLISH heavyweight champion John McDermott, who recently beat Pele Reid at York Hall to land the vacant belt, will fight British champion Danny Williams in July, his manager Johnny Branch has confirmed, writes Simon Jackson.
McDermott, a former St Pancras amateur star, racked up his 25th win in a 28-fight career when he stopped Reid in the second round on April 18.
That night McDermott had comfortably countered knock-out specialist Reid's punching power and floored him one minute and forty-five seconds into the second round.
McDermott had initially indicated that he intended to defend his belt, but the lure of a shot at the British champion has proved to much to resist.
"I think John will beat Danny, he is going to be too fast for him," Branch exclusively told Wood&Vale Sport.
"John is 28 in the near future and is at his best, and I think this [British title challenge] is the natural opportunity for him.
- 1 'Unimaginable loss': Father and daughter stabbed to death in north London
- 2 Covid-19: Omicron variant case confirmed in Camden
- 3 Camden Market has major makeover with new cinema, shops and food stalls
- 4 Barnet chemist named independent pharmacy of the year
- 5 Stunning light trail wraps up Kenwood like a giant Christmas present
- 6 Masked-up Boris Johnson poses for selfies at Wood Green care centre
- 7 Hampstead Heath to host first Christmas Fayre
- 8 Two people flee in Finchley flat fire caused by faulty radiator
- 9 Highgate's new butcher offers wine pairing and cooking advice
- 10 Hanukkah 2021: Five events in north London tonight
"I honestly believe that John will beat him - this is John's time."
The fight that has been confirmed for July 4 at Dagenham's Goresbrook Leisure Centre.