British heavyweight title fight is next for Big John McDermott
ENGLISH heavyweight champion John McDermott, who recently beat Pele Reid at York Hall to land the vacant belt, will fight British champion Danny Williams in July, his manager Johnny Branch has confirmed, writes Simon Jackson. McDermott, a former St Pancra
ENGLISH heavyweight champion John McDermott, who recently beat Pele Reid at York Hall to land the vacant belt, will fight British champion Danny Williams in July, his manager Johnny Branch has confirmed, writes Simon Jackson.
McDermott, a former St Pancras amateur star, racked up his 25th win in a 28-fight career when he stopped Reid in the second round on April 18.
That night McDermott had comfortably countered knock-out specialist Reid's punching power and floored him one minute and forty-five seconds into the second round.
McDermott had initially indicated that he intended to defend his belt, but the lure of a shot at the British champion has proved to much to resist.
You may also want to watch:
"I think John will beat Danny, he is going to be too fast for him," Branch exclusively told Wood&Vale Sport.
"John is 28 in the near future and is at his best, and I think this [British title challenge] is the natural opportunity for him.
- 1 Highgate mental illness charity sees 'desperation' rise during Covid year
- 2 Two men charged after police find 'gun, cash and drugs' in Brent Cross flat
- 3 Labour's Sadiq Khan wins London mayoral election
- 4 North London nurses: 1% NHS pay offer is a 'kick in the teeth'
- 5 London elections 2021 live: Latest results as they come in
- 6 Arteta asks Arsenal to use 'pain' to punish West Brom
- 7 Owner mourns Highgate station’s beloved black cat
- 8 Police officer suffers leg injury after BMW stopped during 'routine patrol'
- 9 Toilets, the Ponds, Streatery, Nazanin and Palestine
- 10 London Assembly elections: Camden, Barnet and Haringey's candidates
"I honestly believe that John will beat him - this is John's time."
The fight that has been confirmed for July 4 at Dagenham's Goresbrook Leisure Centre.