Breen hails Hampstead’s fightback after stunning eight-minute salvo
- Credit: Archant
Hampstead produced a stunning eight-minute fightback to shock Old Haberdashers and make it two wins from two at the start of their London Division Two North-West campaign.
Peter Breen’s side trailed 14-0 at half-time against the side that finished third last season and, although Dan Dimoline got the home side on the scoreboard with a penalty, they were 21-3 down in the 51st minute.
However, they were ahead less than 10 minutes later. Alex Brookes and Arthur Haynes crossed the whitewash in quick succession and, straight from the kick-off, powerful winger Olufemi Ajayi also went over, while Dimoline kicked two of the conversions.
All that was left was the small matter of defending a one-point lead for 20 minutes – and Hampstead were down to 14 men for half of that period, but they held on.
Head coach Breen said: “It was eight minutes of quite simply the best rugby this current team have produced, with three tries of the highest quality.
You may also want to watch:
“When the opposition’s captain, coach and chairman declares that it was the best rugby they have seen at this level, you know you have played some pretty good stuff.”
- 1 Women attacked by wrench-wielding man in Hampstead
- 2 South Hampstead neighbours mourn tree felled by Storm Christoph
- 3 Keeping your distance: Hampstead joggers and creperie crowds
- 4 Every single critical care bed full at hospitals
- 5 'Big victory,' says man behind Haverstock Hill cycle lanes legal challenge
- 6 Buyers claim luxury flats are 'nightmare' construction site
- 7 Crouch End's 'Paul the Paper' bids farewell to Broadway stall
- 8 Arteta 'very disappointed' by Arsenal exit
- 9 In pictures: The Parkland Walk in lockdown
- 10 Haverstock Hill cycle lanes order scrapped by Camden Council