Breen hails Hampstead’s fightback after stunning eight-minute salvo
- Credit: Archant
Hampstead produced a stunning eight-minute fightback to shock Old Haberdashers and make it two wins from two at the start of their London Division Two North-West campaign.
Peter Breen’s side trailed 14-0 at half-time against the side that finished third last season and, although Dan Dimoline got the home side on the scoreboard with a penalty, they were 21-3 down in the 51st minute.
However, they were ahead less than 10 minutes later. Alex Brookes and Arthur Haynes crossed the whitewash in quick succession and, straight from the kick-off, powerful winger Olufemi Ajayi also went over, while Dimoline kicked two of the conversions.
All that was left was the small matter of defending a one-point lead for 20 minutes – and Hampstead were down to 14 men for half of that period, but they held on.
Head coach Breen said: “It was eight minutes of quite simply the best rugby this current team have produced, with three tries of the highest quality.
You may also want to watch:
“When the opposition’s captain, coach and chairman declares that it was the best rugby they have seen at this level, you know you have played some pretty good stuff.”
- 1 London Zoo's aviary unwrapped to create new monkey home
- 2 Police investigate reported rape of teenager
- 3 Tennis coach 'distraught' at losing Belsize role amid club row
- 4 The situation in North London as Arsenal come up against Spurs
- 5 'Time for banks to share a Crouch End branch'
- 6 Arsenal start pre-season with win over Chelsea but dealt blow with Jordan Nobbs injury
- 7 Car driver arrested after crash with van in Camden Town
- 8 'Safe and secure home' - Camden takes landlord to court over eviction threat
- 9 E-scooters set for Camden as council boss backs rental trial
- 10 Harry Kane: Boyhood club cult status or chase that silverware?