Breen hails Hampstead’s fightback after stunning eight-minute salvo
- Credit: Archant
Hampstead produced a stunning eight-minute fightback to shock Old Haberdashers and make it two wins from two at the start of their London Division Two North-West campaign.
Peter Breen’s side trailed 14-0 at half-time against the side that finished third last season and, although Dan Dimoline got the home side on the scoreboard with a penalty, they were 21-3 down in the 51st minute.
However, they were ahead less than 10 minutes later. Alex Brookes and Arthur Haynes crossed the whitewash in quick succession and, straight from the kick-off, powerful winger Olufemi Ajayi also went over, while Dimoline kicked two of the conversions.
All that was left was the small matter of defending a one-point lead for 20 minutes – and Hampstead were down to 14 men for half of that period, but they held on.
Head coach Breen said: “It was eight minutes of quite simply the best rugby this current team have produced, with three tries of the highest quality.
You may also want to watch:
“When the opposition’s captain, coach and chairman declares that it was the best rugby they have seen at this level, you know you have played some pretty good stuff.”
- 1 London Assembly elections: Camden, Barnet and Haringey's candidates
- 2 What do you think of the Regent’s Park and Primrose Hill bins?
- 3 Ibiza comes to Kenwood with meditation and music for 'healthy hedonists'
- 4 Golders Green Hippodrome 'chooses love' at interfaith Covid vaccine drive
- 5 Porsche driver tries to get car insured on phone when stopped by police
- 6 Tree topples onto neighbour's car after South Hampstead winds
- 7 Matt Hancock to give evidence at Infected Blood Inquiry
- 8 Man stabbed to death at Brent Cross Shopping Centre
- 9 'Unacceptable' HGV use by developers in Church Row writes off 3 cars
- 10 Sabrina Francis made Camden's first Black woman mayor